Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rfrazier Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2009, 01:56 PM
    17 HP Briggs
    I have a 17 hp briggs OHV on a John Deer mower that is 3-4 years old. Have to move the flywheel past the compression stroke before the starter will turn the engine. Once cranked the engine spits pops runs about half throttle then dies. Noticed that it is blowing back through the air filter. Took the cover off to look at the key in the flywheel. Looks OK but did not take the flywheel off. Any suggestions.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 20, 2009, 04:07 PM

Has anything been done to this engine to chain its timing. B&S engines should release some compression during starting and I think your valves just aren't opening soon enough.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2009, 04:27 PM

If the mower backfired at some time that can make a used timing chain jump. The flywheel is not the timing chain as bal mentioned here which I would go that route. How about a compression test also for ring blow by.

I would also check the starter and ignition coil for good spark and that could cause havoc here in actual running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsRoS...om=PL&index=15

Apr 20, 2009, 07:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Has anything been done to this engine to chain its timing. B&S engines should release some compression during starting and I think your valves just aren't opening soon enough.
    I don't think anything has been done to the engine. What are the valve clearance for a 17 hp engine I will try this first. Thanks for the help

Apr 20, 2009, 07:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    If the mower backfired at some time that can make a used timing chain jump. The flywheel is not the timing chain as bal mentioned here which I would go that route. How about a compression test also for ring blow by.

I would also check the starter and ignition coil for good spark and that could cause havoc here in actual running.

YouTube - Lawn Mower Repair Ignition Coil Test
    Thinks for the help I was not aware of a timing chain. Have never worked on an engine with a timing chain. How do I get to the timing chain?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Engine switch V twin briggs for Briggs intek ohc [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to exchange a 19 hp V Twin into a Craftsman lt 2000 mower. It was originally equipped with a 22 hp Intek V OHC. I am wondering how different the wiring is going to be. Also is this possible? The 19 HP twin is Model 42A777 Type 1236 01. The Intek is Model 407777 Type 0174 E1 Thank...

12.5 briggs [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 11hp rear engine snapper. The motor shut down on me so I took it off and replaced with a 12.5hp. The only 2 wires the 11hp had was a starter wire and another that went inside the lid. This 12.5hp has those 2 wires plus 2 more that are both coming out of the side together in the same...

18.5 HP Briggs [ 5 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I have a Craftsman lawn mower with a 18.5 Briggs single cylinder that will not crank over. Have replaced the starter with a new one and it still does not crank over. Someone suggested checking the values and the valves were a little off so we fixed them. Sometimes it will...

12.5 Briggs won't run [ 5 Answers ]

I posted a question earlier about a Murray mower wiring problem. Thanks for the info. I found the coil was dead and traced all the wiring. Now I am getting fire and gas, but it will not run - or even sputter. The key isn't sheared, and as far as I can tell the bottom end hasn't been opened, but it...

View more questions Search