Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sjimoh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2008, 01:18 PM
    Snow thrower doesn't throw snow
    Hello,

I'm new but I really enjoyed all the questions I have read so far. My spirit snow blower does not all the time throw snow. Sometimes it does throw snow and all of a sudden it stop to throw snow. There is no clog in the chute. Could any one help me please, the snow is now on the ground and I'm helpless.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 02:25 PM

Iam not familiar with your actual blower but here are somw basic blower checks. This might sound really goofy are the augers spinning to get snow to shut? Do belts run the auger or chain. If its belts, the belt could be slipping and the motor sounds fine and there is no squeal indacate a loose belt. If you have an impeller that spins to throw the snow out the chute see if that is getting hung up or slipping at this point I would check thee above. Caution No HANDS in moving parts. I don't want you to get hurt. I hope this helps and post back on how it went. Happy Holiday!
    sjimoh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2008, 11:11 AM
    Thanks 21 boat. The name of the snow thrower is SPIRIT. The belt has just been changed and it runs for 5 minutes and stop throwing snow. It runs perfectly except the aspects of throwing snow. I don't know if I need to do some adjustment somewhere. It runs good, the auger is working and it is a single stage snow blower. Whenever I started it pick snow for 5 minutes or less, then stop picking up snow. The motor runs good.
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2008, 03:13 PM

Its really sounds like the belt. Sorry I don't know the spirit blower but a lot of mechanics of this situation will have the same principles. Since the belt was just changed it a high probability that's the problem. Expose the belt system and look at the pulley setup. Work your controls (motor off safety) and see what moves and the way it travels if you can. If it's a belt There has To be some kind of tensioner. The reason it starts to work and then stops is because the belt works fine until it reaches is "Belt" friction captained slips and no snow throwing. Apparently its close on having the correct tension. Look at the belt pulley system There has to be an adjustment to move a the pulley in distance. Could be a nut on a threaded bolt to lengthen (open) the loop to tighten up the belt. You have too look hard nowadays they are getting tricker in methods to do simple things. The other possible problem is the "rods" and linkage that goes from your hand reach while you are blowing snow and there's extra travel or slop in that linkage that which travels to and moves the pulley to engage the snow thrower mechanism. This might sound goofy but I look at a mechanical situation visually and ask myself. " If I was an adjustment screw where would I be to build improve this design or the best place for me to work well"

I hope I helped and brought you closer to fixing your problem Good luck Boat 21
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 11:36 AM

Hi,
    I too am unfamiliar with the brand and you received good answers. Just to interject that a slight variation in the belt length or width will cause this, also. The belt uses the beveled edges for engagement and heating, adjustment and incorrect width or length can singly or in combination cause this.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    shimz55 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2008, 09:26 PM
    I too have a Spirit snowblower and is doing the same thing----Will throw snow but now has ceased to do so... It will plow snow just fine but, what have you found out about this?. I have replaced both belts too... Any suggestions?
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2008, 11:40 AM

I'm also thinking there is some kind of a friction plate that after you engage the belt pulley system this on turn engages the friction on a type of clutch expansion system that helps regulate the already engaged belt system a buffer so to speak. That design be a friction buffer added to the old direct. Squeals ehen a belt burns round a direct pulley set and the added clutch set up keeps you from instantly burning up the belt and breaking it. Look for a setup like that on the pulley wheel and shaft that connects the spinning wheel that shoots the snow.
    P.S. I won't give up here! I worked on a lot of strange mechanical equipment setup in my shop. I will research more and try to find a BASIC parts blow out for that brand name.
    Signed 21 boat
    shotize Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2010, 04:28 PM
    Do snow blower loose there power as they age?
    deanseaton1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2012, 11:04 AM
    I have a craftsman snow blower, it is shaft driven. When I start to push it, It will throw snow for about a foot then stop throwing snow. It is not clogged. There's no real sign why it is not throwing snow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Snow thrower not throwing snow [ 10 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I need help, I have a murray snow blower, it runs, but snow stuck in chute and won't throw out, changed the belt , no luck, hope someone can help, thanks

Snow thrower not throwing snow?! [ 1 Answers ]

The other day I shear one of the shear pins on my snow thrower tines I had replaced but the tines are not moving at all. (I hit a cement step while clearing the snow of a neighboard's driveway) Could some one let me know where I should start looking at? I don't want to disassemble more than I don't...

View more questions Search