Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2006, 03:38 PM
    16 HP Briggs and Stratton Won't Start
    I was mowing the lawn a couple of days ago and the engine just died on me. I have good spark. I bought a new fuel pump and installed it but still no luck. I can squirt some gas in the carb and it will start right up, then die back off as the gas is used up. There is plenty of gas going through the fuel filter, don't know much about these engines. Any help would be appreciated. The mower is a cub cadet with a 16 HP vanguard engine in it, it has 447 hours on it.:confused:
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2006, 10:05 PM
    Does it have that little thing on the bottom of the carb with a couple wires coming out of it? Anti backfire/fuel shutoff solenoid? Does it click when the key is turned?
    dunedindawg Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2006, 07:53 AM
    I bought a new fuel solenoid thinking the same thing. I got no clicking with either the old one or the new one. There is a grey and black lead wire going into it and I get no power indication when I test the grey line with my light.

I traced it back to the connection, which comes down from the ignition switch. There appears to be power going into the connector, power to the coil, but nonw to the fuel solenoid. Could this cause the problem? Is there a switch for this or fuse?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2006, 12:49 AM
    Usually the solenoid has one wire grounded and one to a 12 volt source... no fuse... so power is getting out of the ignition switch?
    dunedindawg Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2006, 06:06 PM
    The wiring harness from the ignition switch plugs into a group of wires. I believe some run to the fuel solenoid, some to the coil, etc...

There is power to the lead that plugs into the coil. I have spark at the plug as well. What I don't have is any clicking from the fuel solenoid. The fuel solenoid has a black and grey wire. The black grounds to the block and the grey comes over from the wiring harness.

I get no sound at all with the fuel solenoid. I even connected a lead to the positive battery terminal and one to the negative and attached it to the fuel solenoid, nothing. I even did this with the old fuel solenoid, nothing.
    2020HERB Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmw
    I was mowing the lawn a couple of days ago and the engine just died on me. I have good spark. I bought a new fuel pump and installed it but still no luck. I can squirt some gas in the carb and it will start right up, then die back off as the gas is used up. There is plenty of gas going through the fuel filter, dont know much about these engines. Any help would be appreciated. The mower is a cub cadet with a 16 HP vanguard engine in it, it has 447 hours on it.:confused:
    Hi briggs have a fuel shut off at the carb if it is eletric start turn key o & off you should hear it clicking on & off. If that is working pull carb off & clean main jet don't take much to plug it. Herb
    loreleiys Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 07:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmw
    I was mowing the lawn a couple of days ago and the engine just died on me. I have good spark. I bought a new fuel pump and installed it but still no luck. I can squirt some gas in the carb and it will start right up, then die back off as the gas is used up. There is plenty of gas going through the fuel filter, dont know much about these engines. Any help would be appreciated. The mower is a cub cadet with a 16 HP vanguard engine in it, it has 447 hours on it.:confused:

:) This is long after you had your problem, but I suspect you could rebuild the carburator. I also replaced the solenoid to solve a staring problem which I thought was a short draining the battery. Starts immediately when I set up an arc across the top of the solenoid.
    What solved rhe starting problem for your mower?

Good luck!
    tomby35 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2008, 08:31 PM
    I am having the same problem with my john deere lt166 with the 16 hp briggs engine. My problem has traced back to the intake push rod being bent. You can squirt gas directly into the carb and it will start until that fuel is used up and then die. I replaced the push rod and it ran for some time... then the push rod got bent again somehow. Anyone know what my problem might be now?
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2008, 07:11 PM
    Did you check the fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb bowl? Or it could be the carb's components either being "gummed up", or sticking.
    HHStang Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2008, 08:50 AM
    I have a similar problem. I do have 12v at the fuel solenoid, but don't see where anything opens or closes in the bowl(yes, I have it apart).

Do they sell new solenoids, or better yet, can I buy the bowl without one of these?

THANKS!
    boudreau Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2009, 06:54 AM

16 horsepower 1990 roper won't turn over
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2009, 03:48 PM

Boduers you are on another's thread. You should repost and start your own thread to get a better response from others meanwhile explain "won't start" Battery etc, Did you jump it? Does it make a clicking sound etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

12.5 briggs and stratton won't start [ 18 Answers ]

I'm rebuilding the engine on my murray, it's a 12.5 horsepower power built. I have a brand new starter and the solonoid was replaced about a year ago, but it just clicks when I turn the key, if I hook up the starter and try and turn it over the solonoid clicks multiple times rapidly then won't...

Briggs & stratton 12.5 [ 8 Answers ]

My husband has an MTD with a b and s 12.5. It has run weill with some babying for a while, now. One day he was running ti and he heard a loud POP , and that was the end. It has new solenoid, starter, bettery and a few other things . The key is it is GETTING gas into the bowl, but not going ...

Briggs & Stratton cranks but does not start [ 11 Answers ]

I have an MTD Yard Machine powered by a B&S 12.5 hp code 9311064E type 0154-01. The engine cranks slowly and in spurts approximating the four cycles. When I remove the spark plug the engine spins normally. I had the battery checked at a battery shop and it was pronounced fine after a load test. A...

Briggs &stratton 15 hp. [ 1 Answers ]

The other day this engine just quit and I had no spark from the coil. It has the electronic ignition so I cleaned everything under the flywheel and put it back thinking that this must be the problem but no. There is a small wire that goes to the coil and when I pull it off it will fire. I found two...

Briggs&Stratton Billy Goat Pull Start broken [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, my billy goat pull start is stuffed. When I pull it it goes floppy and won't wind back onto the wheel. Its happened before but when I've taken the top plate off it wound back on and I hadn't had trouble with it, until now. Is there anything I can do ?:confused:

View more questions Search