Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Quickie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2008, 07:37 PM
    Briggs & Stratton 16.5
    I have a MTD Mower OHV 16.5 B&S engine, Has New Battery , solenoid, starter, and valves have been set to .004 on intake .006 on exhaust. Will start and run till I shut it off and will not start again. It si only four years old. Any thoughts?
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

Sep 8, 2008, 01:32 PM
    The first thing everyone will want to know is exactly what happens when you try to restart it after shuitting it off.
    Quickie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2008, 11:31 PM
    It gets to the compression point and will not turn. Can charge the battery to a hot 12volts and it will start again run awhile shut it off and it does the same thing over again.
    Birdiemaker Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2008, 09:15 AM
    Is it an OHC engine? If so, I had problems where it spun to the Compression point and stalled out. Appearing slow! Once past that it spun hard again till it hit the compression stroke. If this is what you are having here's a solution I used successfully. Remove the cover from the valves. A wrench and Star screwdriver are needed to adjust and lock the valves and a feeler gauge between .003-.005 inch. Clearance should be measured just as the spark magnet moves past TDC, just off the magnet. Be sure it's the compression stroke and not the Exhaust stroke. Adjust valves, both at this point. Info. Tilting the engine such that oil gravitates away from the Valve cover helps but you shouldn't loose much anyway, use a big rag. Replace cover,and plug if you removed it. Should spin much better now. Good luck. Edd [email protected]
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 11, 2008, 10:32 AM
    Hi,
    Does it run badly when running. Under-powered. There were a bad batch of camshafts out at that time and the intake lobe wore down/off. Sounds as if it is valves or ACR,etc.
    Peace,
    crigby

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & Stratton 16.5 OHV [ 19 Answers ]

I have a B&S 16.5 OHV MTD Yardman that will not turn over even though the starter and battery are OK. It will turn to a point and then stops. If I remove the spark plug it turns freely like it should. I know that removes the pressure in the cylinder but I don't know what could cause it to bind...

Briggs & Stratton 14.5hp OHV - Won't Run [ 8 Answers ]

I have a yard machine mower that was running great. It shut off in the middle of cutting and that was that. If I pour gas in the carb it tries to start, so I know I have fire. I have plenty of gas going to the carb and the solenoid on the bottom is working fine. I had the carb off, took the main...

Briggs & Stratton 18 hp [ 1 Answers ]

I have a troy built riding mower with an 18 horse briggs... this starter gear often sticks in the fly wheel and will not start unless you turn the fly wheel back by hand... I have replaced the starter and still have the same problem... the engine runs fine at all speeds but the problem still exists...

4.5 briggs & stratton [ 3 Answers ]

My lawn mower starts & revs up and down on a full tank,and when almost empty runs well!

Briggs &stratton 15 hp. [ 1 Answers ]

The other day this engine just quit and I had no spark from the coil. It has the electronic ignition so I cleaned everything under the flywheel and put it back thinking that this must be the problem but no. There is a small wire that goes to the coil and when I pull it off it will fire. I found two...

View more questions Search