Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rcuster2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2008, 05:42 AM
    Lawn Tractor will not start, Briggs&Stratton 18.5hp engine
    I have a 2 and 1/2 year old Craftsman Lawn Tractor with 18.5 Briggs & Stratton Engine (31P777-0348-E1). I has been serviced each year prior to use. Have been using all season with no visible problems. After starting the engine and ridng for about 2 minutes, the engine stopped. There is no noise or smoke from the engine but it will not crank and only move approx. 3" when you try to manually turn the fly wheel. The oil level remains at full level. Any suggestions? Thanks
    John C Bridgers Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2008, 04:29 AM
    Hello rcuster2:

From your Description it Sounds like the Valve Clearance Requires Adjusting. The Following is a Basic File I made for Setting the Valve Clearances. Any Input is Appreciated. **I Do Not Use the Setting Called for by the OEMs. I have Found that the Following Works Best. Remove the Valve Cover (on the Dead Cylinder for Twin Cylinder Engines). Set the Cylinder you are Setting the Valves on to Top Dead Center on the Compression Stroke When Setting the Valve Clearance. Now Loosen the Valve Adjuster Locks and Using a Blade Style Feeler Gauge, Set the Intake Valve Clearance to .004in -.006in and the Exhaust to .007in - .009in. I have had Better Performance Out of the Mowers and Less Burnt Valves Using these Settings. Be Sure the Piston is at TDC on the Compression Stroke.** If you Remove the Valve Cover and then Turn the Engine by Hand, you can Watch the Intake Valve Movement. When the Intake Valve Closes, the Piston will Just Starting the Compression/Power Stroke. On Some Engines you can Us a Straightened Coat Hanger and Feel the Piston. Be Careful and Don't Jam the Wire in the Cylinder. Usually the Piston will Push the Wire Out of the Spark Plug Hole with No Problems. If you Hit a Snag or this Does Not Correct the Problem, I am Here if You Require More Assistance. Hope this Helps. Let me Know What Happens, Please. Thanks.

Good Luck

Respectfully

John
    EWJ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2008, 12:03 PM

My MTD Yard Machine 13.5 HP lawn tractor will not start; just clicks. I've replaced the battery, but that wasn't the problem. I can remove the module from the inside of the ignition, but cannot pull the keyhole part of the switch out. What's holding it in?
    Thought the switch might be the problem.
    JEPLAX Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2009, 07:09 PM

I wa having a similar problem with my craftsman lawn tractor with a B&S 18.5 hP OHV, Inteck engine last summer. I thought I had a clog in the fuel line or fuel filter & blew out the line & changed the filter. Then I discovered that dirt was clogging the air hole on the gas tank cap, so a suction was created and gas was not able to reach the carb. Now I tighten the gas cap and turn back 1/2 turn so air can enter the tank. This stopped the problem. It the other approach does not work, try this one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & Stratton 17hp Lawn Tractor [ 6 Answers ]

Why is gas leaking into air filter at low throttle?

17hp briggs & stratton bolens lawn tractor will not start? [ 2 Answers ]

Recently purchased a Bolens lawn tractor w/ a 17 hp briggs and stratton. It does not have spark. Have put in a new plug with no results. Need suggestions what to try next. Thanks!

CRAFTSMAN Briggs & Stratton 19HP 46" Lawn Tractor Won't Start unless. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi - My CRAFTSMAN Briggs & Stratton 19HP 46" Lawn Tractor Won't Start unless I put some gas directly in the carb. I've changed the spark plugs, put new gas in the tank and replaced the small fuel filter. I'm encouraged that it finally started, but it won't start without adding the gas...

Craftsman lawn tractor 19.5 Briggs twin engine won't start. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Last time I used this mower was about 3 months ago, ran it out of gas and left It (covered). Tried to start it yesterday after putting in about 3 gallons of new gas And it will crank fine but not start.. I took off the air cleaner and trickled in a bit of gas And it started to run and...

17 HP Sears lawn tractor, Briggs and Stratton [ 1 Answers ]

Not sure where to locate the Clutch Switch... I think this is my problem to starting the lawn tractor. Tractor Model # 917.270711.

View more questions Search