Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iturner50 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2006, 04:15 AM
    1998 MTD Garden Tractor 800 Series
    :mad:

Tractor Drive belt keeps coming off. Has been replaced several times. Brand new belt installed last week has come off already. It comes off mostly when going up a slight incline or hill (not real steep)

Is there any kind of adjustment to the pulleys or is this a sign that the tractor is just plain worn out?

This is on the big pulley on top of the transmission. All belt keepers are intact and in good shape.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2006, 12:03 PM
    So saying all belt keepers are intact, they are all bent in close to the belt? Its not a sign of it being worn out though, Is this a shift on the go maybe? Or manual transaxle?
    iturner50 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2006, 02:39 AM
    It's a shift On the Go 7 speed. Sorry about the late response been shopping for a new tractor.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2006, 12:27 PM
    The clutch (basically a pulley) might need a little adjustment, sometimes they can get loose and leave the belt loose as well.
    mkrmachine Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2007, 01:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iturner50
    It's a shift On the Go 7 speed. Sorry about the late response been shopping for a new tractor.
    Do yo want to sell the tractor, I am in Rochester, Ny:)
    mkrmachine Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2007, 01:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iturner50
    :mad:

Tractor Drive belt keeps coming off. Has been replaced several times. Brand new belt installed last week has come off already. It comes off mostly when going up a slight incline or hill (not real steep)

Is there any kind of adjustment to the pulleys or is this a sign that the tractor is just plain worn out?

This is on the big pulley on top of the transmission. All belt keepers are intact and in good shape.
    Forgt my email [email protected] I will buy tractor
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

May 12, 2007, 10:33 PM
    HAS to be factory belt. Make sure the idler pulley is not bad.

Don
    deuceman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2009, 02:27 PM
    I had the same problem. The axle assembly seems to shift or twist and throw the transmission pulley out of line. I added a peace of angle iron at the front of the transmission to catch between the frame and the extruded part of the transmission to prevent this. This has worked for about 10 years. BTW I have one of these machines for sale. Frame has cracked where the axle/transmission bolts to it but it was running fine up until this. Could be welded back together.

I had the same problem. The axle assembly seems to shift or twist and throw the transmission pulley out of line. I added a peace of angle iron at the front of the transmission to catch between the frame and the extruded part of the transmission to prevent this. This has worked for about 10 years. BTW I have one of these machines for sale. Frame has cracked where the axle/transmission bolts to it but it was running fine up until this. Could be welded back together.

crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 26, 2009, 02:45 PM

Hi,
    I intend to close this thread but the factory told us many years ago that if this was happening that the bolt(s) stabilizing the front of the transaxle were missing.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Usa TV series [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I remember as a child catching a TV series, where a guy goes to jail for a crime he does not commit. Spends his time wisely in jail learning how to do stuff and then goes out to take revenge on the people who set him up. When he take revenge he always leaves a playing card (I think an...

World Series... Why? [ 4 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me why this competition between US teams is called "World" Series, when it is only one country involved?. Shouldn't it be called just "National Series".

TV series [ 4 Answers ]

I have been asking people about this series that I think was on NBC in the 80's. It was a gangster show that was on for at least 3 seasons,one of which ended with the main bad guy in the dessert while we were testing the h-bomb.

Nasd series 7 & 66? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm looking for any study materials for these exams available that I don't have to pay 3 arms & both legs.

What is an Activity Series? [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone explain what is an Activity Series? I looked at sites that is explaining it but I do not get it. Please try to make it simple as possible because I am really dumb. Thanks :)

View more questions Search