Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nakieta Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2008, 09:15 AM
    Oil in spark plugs
    Hello,

I have a riding mower that, when started would run a few minutes and shut down. I read the manual and it said possibly stale fuel and tune up. I changed the gas, tuned it up, cleaned the carb. When I started it same thing happened,but a big cloud of white smoke came out of the muffler. I checked everything again. But noticed that the brand new spark plugs had oil on them, This does not seem normal. Should I send the mower to the graveyard or is there something I can do to fix this problem.

Thanks Tracy
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2008, 10:25 AM
    Just a suggestion: Have the motor overhauled. It apparently needs rings. The oil is probably seeping up into the head. That would cause the puff of smoke.
    Nakieta Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2008, 10:33 AM
    Thank you
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2008, 10:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakieta
    Thank you
    Sure. Hope it helps.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2008, 05:02 PM
    Nakieta, before having a small engine rebuilt, check on the price of a "short block". You will have much longer lasting effects than that of a rebuilt engine usually. And don't forget you can purchase a whole new rider from walmart for about $800 to $900. Without taxes of course.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing Spark plugs [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I hve a 1995 BMW 525I and planning to replace the sprk plugs need to know if I have to use some kind of lubrecant on the sprk plug threads and what will be the torque value, Thanks.

Where are the spark plugs? [ 2 Answers ]

I am borrowing a friends riding lawnmower and another friend of mine says the spark plugs are probably out. Where do I find them so I can see if that's what it is?? It's a Troy Built 19 Hp/ 597 cc Twin Cam Kohler... with a 42" I have no clue where to even start looking. My husband is out of town...

Spark plugs replacement [ 3 Answers ]

When do you need to replace them? I have a 2001 Toyota Sienna XLE. It runs fine. It has 60535 miles on it. The maintanance schedule recommends to replace them at 60000 miles. But they work fine. Do I really need to replace them?

Spark Plugs [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1986 Oles with a V8 engine and 125,000 plus miles and the spark plugs have never been replace. My question is should I be concerned about them breaking off leaving the threads in the head? If so what can I do to prevent it?

View more questions Search