Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Southern Girl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2008, 01:22 PM
    Gas pouring out air filter, lawn mower won't crank
    My mom has a Snapper, 15hp Kohler engine. The last time she mowed the grass it ran fine. She turned it off for about an hour and it wouldn't crank again. Gas poured out of the air filter. Later, she got it running but for only a few minutes and it shut down. Could it have something to do with the carburetor?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 22, 2008, 02:56 PM
    Sounds like the needle valve is not closing and allows raw gas to pour into the cycklinder. Chances are very good that when you check the oil you'll find the crankcase is 100% full of oil/gas mix. If this is the case come back and I'll walk you through a series of steps to correct the issue.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2008, 07:24 PM
    Yes the carb is the problem, after ballengerb1 walks you through the remedy, add an in line fuel shut off valve and use it every time you turn off the engine to prevent this from reoccuring. What really happens is usually related to microscopic particules of trash/debris in your fuel.
    nbossert Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2010, 06:02 AM

Hello ballengerb1 and MOWERMAN2468. I came across this post and noticed it's the same thing that's happening with my Craftsman riding lawnmower (Craftsman 15.5HP OHV 42" cut hydrostatic drive riding lawn mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine (Model: 28N707 Type: 0173-01 Code: 960513ZD). As for MOWERMAN's comment, I have noticed there's dirt that got into the gas tank... which may have contributed to this happening. As for ballengerb's comment, I DID find a filled oil/gas mixture in the crankcase.

So I have a few questions:
    1. ballengerb - can you please walk me through the series of steps to correct the issue? Do you have it posted somewhere else?

2. Mowerman - is there a way to clean out any particles in the system (I can take it apart and clean it out), instead of having to install an in line fuel shut off valve to use each time? I'd hate to have to do that, but if it's your recommendation, I'll see what I can do (I just don't know how to do it).

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mower won't start/crank [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 14 HP B&S Murray Riding Lawn Mower that won't crank. It is an older mower but has been very good and is well maintained. When I try to crank it the flywheel turns a half turn or so and seems to be locking/hanging up. I have just purchased a new battery. No luck. Seems this happened once...

Craftsman lawn mower won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a craftsman 5.5 mower and it will not keep running. I have changed the spark plug, taken the carb. Off and cleaned it making sure all ports are clear, changed the gas, etc. If I poor gas in the cylinder it will start but will not keep running. There is only one adjustment on the carb. And I...

Riding lawn mower won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a yard man riding lawn mower. One day while using it, it did a big surge and I fell off. I had to push it back down because it was sitting up on its two back wheels, now it will not start. I tried to change the spark plug and tried the battery but nothing works. Please help

Lawn Mower won't start (B&S) snapper [ 2 Answers ]

I didn't use it for 4 weeks. It won't start. I drained the gas and put fresh in it. Still won't start. Can I put started fuild or something in the tank to help it start?

Lawn mower won't start [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1 yo Boland 4.5hp push mower. It's the cheapy. I changed the plug and it ran fine, cut the yard. The second cutting, it ran out of gas, I filled it, started it, and after 5 min it cut out and died. I ended up removing the top end cover, and cleaned all the grass and what not out. Put it...

View more questions Search