Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmartz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2007, 10:54 AM
    John Deere L118 starter
    Have a John Deere L118 with a Briggs and Stratton engine. Starter turns but won't engage engine, sort of like an old car with a flat spot on the flywheel. Is there an adjustment on these starters? It's three years old with about 115 hours on it.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2007, 11:32 AM
    More than likely, you will find that the nylon bendix gear on the top side of the starter is stripped out. You can purchase the gear kit for a lot less than a new starter.
    dmartz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Thanks for the response. I just took it apart and the nylon gear is intact and spins when the starter is engaged but doesn't move the 3/4" or so it needs to engage the flywheel. Do they just freeze up over time? I can't even seem to get it to move with a screwdriver or anything.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2007, 03:31 PM
    Well it is bad then probably. They usually will move even when they begin to wear out. The gear not moving without a screwdriver prying on it sounds as though the inside of the gear is worn. Carry to the shop and let them look at it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

John Deere Lawn Tractor Starter Won't Engage [ 2 Answers ]

Always get a "click" when I try to start JD lawn tractor, but the starter won't actually engage now to turn the motor over. The lawn tractor is an older model 185 - 14 hp Kawasaki engine. Any suggestions? Thank you for your assistance. Jack

John deere 314 [ 5 Answers ]

When I try to engage my deck the tractor starts to die. When I click the deck off it runs without problems what's up?

John Deere L110 [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2003 John Deere L110. At the beginning of this mowing season, when I cranked it, the engine tried to crank with it in the run position and stopped cranking in the crank position! Then it just stopped cranking altogether. I replaced the ignition switch and that did not help. I replaced...

John Deere L110 [ 3 Answers ]

John deere model L110 Mower was working fine. I got off it to add more gas, when I got back on it would not start. I turn the key and nothing, no clicking, nothing. I disconnected the pressure switch from the seat and still nothing. Mower blades are not engaged. What am I missing, it still...

John deere mower [ 3 Answers ]

Hi.my riding mower won't stay running.it will run fine for about five minutes then die,won't restart until it cools down after 30 minutes or so.I changed the coil,spark plug and have fresh gas in it.

View more questions Search