Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ssmart71 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2007, 05:57 AM
    Murray riding mower
    I have a murray riding mower that I have replaced the solinoid and the starting switch but I still get no power to the starter. I can hot wire the starter and it will crank so there must be a problem somewher in the wires??
    spgray853 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2007, 10:21 AM
    Check to see if there is a disconnect switch on the seat. Many machines will stop when you get off the seat. Also many machines must be in neutral before they can be started,
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Could Be A Safety Switch Not Working, You Say When You Hot Wire The Starter , Do You Mean Making Contact Directly To The Starter Hot Wire Connection? If So You Have By Passed The Safety Switches. There May Be A Bad Ground Where The Solenoid Mounts, Or Check To See If The Fuse Is Blown.
    If This Helps, Please Rate It.
    Thanks, Mowerman2468
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Jul 5, 2007, 08:58 PM
    Save yourself some agony and follow the directions do not skip one because "you have already done it" humor me and you will see the light.

You will need a volt meter and set it to DC volts
    -Check the battery for 12.5 Volts
    -Check the cables attached to the battery for the same voltage checking for good connections
    -Attach the positive side of the volt meter to the + side of the battery and the negative side to the engine block, Still got 12 Volts? If not the ground from battery is bad.

-Now keep the ground on the negative side of battery
    -follow positive cable to the solenoid and hook volt meter on the cable going TO the starter coming from the opposite side of the solenoid.
    Turn key to "start" position you should have 12 + volts

YES-Check the same way on the starter motor where the cable FROM solenoid connects, If less or no voltage then cables or connections bad, If good voltage then starter is bad

NO- Take positive lead from volt meter to small wire going to solenoid and test for 12 Volts with key in the "start" position, If no voltage to small wire safety switch is telling it not to crank or ignition switch is bad (rare) If it does have voltage the solenoid needs replacing (common)

Hope it helps,
    .Don

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Murray Riding Mower [ 3 Answers ]

My 1988 Murray mower worked fine last week... but I jumped on it this week and couldn't get it to turn over. Replaced the battery, but that didn't seem to help. Tonight I replaced the solenoid tonight, but that didn't seem to help. I'm getting nothing when I try to turn it over. Any advice? This...

Murray riding mower [ 2 Answers ]

My Murray riding mower has decided to stop moving. I have one of those "automatic" mowers that move by pushing the pedal forwards or backwards. This past Saturday, I was mowing and it just stopped moving. The motor runs great and the deck blades still turn but there's no movement. The mower is only...

Murray Riding Mower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 15x38" Murray. My drive belt keeps coming off. I got a new 73" belt from Outdoor Lawn Equipment. I can't get the belt on the back large pulley. The pulley is blocked by other parts. Can anyone help?

I bought a used Murray riding mower with a 40" deck. I want to add a mulching kit but can't seem to find one. Does anyone know if there are any interchangeable parts that will fit this mower?

I have a murray riding mower that I purchased in August of 1991. Apparently I need a new transaxle because it will not go in gear at all. The part # in the book is Dana model 4450-1 which I have been unable to locate, the only reference I have come across for the part says that it has been...

View more questions Search