Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    momconfused Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2011, 02:27 PM
    Should I be afraid of (or for) my teenager?
    My 14 year old has very limited chores to do every day (feed the dogs and cats and give them fresh water) He completes half of them if he remembers and feels like it. He is a gifted athlete I spend about a thousand $ plus on his sport every month for coaching and equipment and I spend several hours driving him to his lessons daily. I do not think it's unreasonable for me to request that his chores be done. I even give him an allowance when he does them. Recently the chores issue has come to a head and a few days ago I forbade him from leaving the house for 2 days to give him time to reflect on his responsibilities and attitude. His rsponse was to draw a picture of both him and me getting shot with an 8mm (he even labeled the caliber) He drew himself holding his sports equipment and he drew me with devil horns. When I asked him why he drew it he said he wanted to "creep you out" because he was upset at my grounding him. He has never shown any sign of aggression before. Should I be afraid that my son is going to hurt me or himself?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 28, 2011, 02:30 PM

No. In fact, please stop the allowance and add more chores that he must do for free as part of the family. If he doesn't cooperate, he will have to drop football. He is spoiled rotten and is acting like a brat.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 28, 2011, 03:05 PM

If he can't remember to feed the animals then make sure you start forgetting his meals too. Let him do some fasting and reflection.

Also if he doesn't shape up no more sports. It's a luxury not some right of passage.
    MrsLB Posts: 30, Reputation: 3

Feb 2, 2011, 03:50 PM
    No, he told you he wanted to draw it to scare you. Make sure you don't let him know it bothered you, I would punish him more for that. He will get the picture. Teen years are always a struggle.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 2, 2011, 07:32 PM

Yes, he feels he is "so special" because you are spending 1000's on him. Time to give him a big reality check.

Add more duties and make sure he knows who runs the house

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being a teenager. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a teenagee girl, I'm 15. This questions to all people past their teenage years, it's simple really, all I want to know is 'how was your teenage years?' I'm just plainly curious. Things like friends, boy/girlfriends, first kisss, mood swings, how you got on with family, sad/happy...

I have a question, a 13 y/o teenager. [ 15 Answers ]

I'm a thirteen year old girl. My mom and I have had no type of communication with her since the 16th of July 2010-i.e. A text for my birthday, a 'hello' on Thanksgiving and 'Glad you go what I wanted' on Christmas.-my dad and I have not heard from her or have any knowledge of her whereabouts. She...

Teenager [ 3 Answers ]

What do u do when a mother puts her 17 year old out that has not grauated from high school and she needs to be enrolled in high school by her godmother do u need to get custody. She only has 7months before she turns 18. I really don't understand what to do because of her age.

How does a teenager become emancipated [ 3 Answers ]

My grandson, 15 years old, wants to become emancipated. His home life is very disfunctional; he is suffering in school; spends most of his time away from the house to avoid conflict. He has a contact with Child Social Services, but he needs more information about the process and where to start.

Is this just me being a teenager? [ 5 Answers ]

I feel so stressed, and so cut off from all of my friends! I feel like I'm pushing them away by telling them how I feel and I've gotten to the point where I don't realise my feelings until I've said them. Over the past few months I've become different from how I used to be! I've been feeling sick...

View more questions Search