Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    txbigred Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2010, 09:04 AM
    I'm a 19 year old boy who wants to date 16 year old girl we want to be with each other
    I live in mesquite, I'm 19 and I'm wanting to date a 16 year old girl, we really like each other and we are not sexually active, is it legal for us to date? Because I know people that want to get in between our friendship and ruin us, and I don't want to go through legal troubles just for dating her, is it legal?
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2010, 09:17 AM

Dating isn't illegal but having sexual contact INCLUDING kissing would be illegal. So your really better off as friends.

By the way yout 19 what are you even doing around 16 year old girls? And how about her parents-- how do they feel about you dating her? What about your parents?

In short it's legal to date, but it is illegal to touch her.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 30, 2010, 09:23 AM

As noted, there are no laws that govern dating. All laws in this area deal with sexual activity. Where is Mesquite?

What do her parents think of your dating. While I agree that a 19 yr old boy has little to do with 16 yr old, the age difference here is just on the edge.

If her parents approve and you make sure sex is not involved, you can go ahead.

Jun 30, 2010, 07:24 PM

Well I met her my senior year of high school her freshman year, and we became really close since then, well after over a year of knowing each other we are feeling closer to each other. Her parents really like me and they actually want me to be with her considering her last few bfs were treating her like crap, I'm actually treating her like she's worth something, and her parents really like it, my parents... they mind me dating her but they aren't going to kill me over it. And by the way mesquite is a city in dallas Texas.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 2, 2010, 11:32 AM

If her parents are okay with it, then I can go along with it. I may not agree, but defer to the parents. As long as its just dating.

I give you props for the guts to let her parents know what's going on.
    cdupre70301 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2010, 01:57 PM

I think your sick. Let her live a normal teenage life. You guys will have different interest. You will be in college or expiermenting things she can not yet. It is not a good idea.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 4, 2010, 03:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdupre70301 View Post
    I think your sick. Let her live a normal teenage life. You guys will have different interest. You will be in college or expiermenting things she can not yet. It is not a good idea.
    What is a normal teenage life these days? The OP's situation is NOT sick. You may be right about the different interests. But lets be realistic here.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2010, 07:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    What is a normal teenage life these days? The OP's situation is NOT sick. You may be right about the different interests. but lets be realistic here.
    I think mesquite is in Texas.
    Riot Posts: 130, Reputation: 29

Aug 8, 2010, 06:02 AM

Yeah he said it was in Texas

I'm 19 and a 16 year old liked me. Although she was nice, her age was just the problem... I couldn't really imagine being with a high school student at my age.

However, although its not my cup of tea personally, some of my peers think its acceptable and I don't think their views are sick or anything like that...
    Its more of a personal boundary thing (as well as they law, of course)
    IWantToHelp Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2010, 04:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdupre70301 View Post
    I'm sorry but I completely disagree. I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with you liking her, wanting to date her and if you do, loving her. Although there is an age gap of 3 years, the fact is, girls are more mature than boys and don't often find relationships within their own age groups. They look at older, more mature boys that they can relate more to and feel protected by.

The fact that you know her parents and that you have their blessing in being her boyfriend. You have all the right to. She is 16 and old enough to know her own mind and so are you.

I wish you both the best of luck.

:)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 14, 2010, 05:26 PM

The senior dating a freshmen in high school is somewhat common, so much depends on where your life at 19 is headed, are you going to college, are you now working a full time job and thinking of marriage and family in a couple years, since when she is 19, she may want college, not a family.

It may work, but then both of you will change so much over the next 3 or 4 years, there are not good odds.

My concern if hormones and sex drive of a 19 year old. I have seen few where sex was not part of dating after a few dates

Aug 14, 2010, 10:31 PM

OK, I think I feel a lot better knowing that its not wrong for us dating, sex is a no, we just want to be together
    IWantToHelp Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2010, 03:42 AM

My boyfriend and I have an age gap of 2 years and it works perfectly. We have been together now for nearlly 1 and a half years and we're a very strong couple.

I'm glad to hear that you feel a lot better.

All the best.

:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is it okay for a 17 year old boy and a 14 year old girl to date? [ 20 Answers ]

I'm 14 and my boyfriend of 3 and a half years is 17, we haven't don't anything beyond kissing and we plan to keep it that way until I'm at the age of concent. I love him a lot, and he loves me too. We have talked about marriage and children, and he asked me to marry him. I said yes, but were...

Is it OK to date a 14 year old boy if you're a 17 year old girl? [ 7 Answers ]

All Threads Merged I'm 16 getting ready to turn 17 in July.my boyfriend is 14 getting ready to turn 15 in October.is it illegal for us to date?

Statutory rape consent in winnipeg for a 21 year old female to date a 16 year old boy [ 7 Answers ]

Im am a 16 year old boy going on 17 in a few months, I'm in a relationship with a 20 year old female, her parents and my parents agree with our relationship, can she be charged with statuatory rape?

Should a 11 year old girl be able to date 11 yr boy ? [ 49 Answers ]

help do you think a 11 year old can date I need answers please well like holding hands holding each other

View more questions Search