Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brittysparkles Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2010, 11:20 PM
    Can a 13 year old legally date a 17 year old in the state of Oregon
    I am 13 years old turning 14 in one month and this guy I like is 17 can we legally date in the state of Oregon.
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2010, 12:26 PM

You are only 13, why do you want to date a 17 year old? There is a BIG maturity difference in those ages. If a 17 year old wanted to date a 13 year old, I would be questioning how serious and mature he really is. Not only do you have a maturity problem, but it IS illegal for you two to be touching each other, and in just a year when he becomes a legal adult, it will be illegal for him to date you- that is, if the relationship lasts.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 6, 2010, 12:37 PM

The law doesn't matter its what your parents think that counts.
    GretaX Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2010, 04:54 PM

It is illegal for you and him to be dating as until the age of 14 you are still legally a child and after he turns 18 he is legally an adult. Any age in between those would be fine and legal. If you are 14 and he is still 17 at the time I suggest you discuss it with your parents but it is legal for you to be together during that time. This can become a big issue and could be taken to court, so I suggest that you don't do this unless you are serious about him, but if its true love, it always does find a way.

Here is a link if you want to do some further research on the topic

Frequently Asked Questions: Age of Consent to Sexual Activity
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 8, 2010, 04:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GretaX View Post
    It is illegal for you and him to be dating as until the age of 14 you are still legally a child and after he turns 18 he is legally an adult. Any age in between those would be fine and legal. If you are 14 and he is still 17 at the time i suggest you discuss it with your parents but it is legal for you to be together during that time period. This can become a big issue and could be taken to court, so i suggest that you don't do this unless you are serious about him, but if its true love, it always does find a way.

here is a link if you want to do some further research on the topic

Frequently Asked Questions: Age of Consent to Sexual Activity
    The link you provided was for Canada. The OP may live in any country, so this may not apply to her. ;)
    GretaX Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2010, 05:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    The link you provided was for Canada. The OP may live in any country, so this may not apply to her. ;)
    Oh thank you, I didn't catch that

Age Of Consensual Sex | LIVESTRONG.COM

Here is the appropriate link, it says Oregon is 18 as well
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2010, 06:04 PM

As far as I'm aware, the law does not say anything about simply dating. However, if anything is sexual, then you'll run into issues.

As mentioned already, you're best off not worrying about dating at such a young age. At the very least date someone your own age.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statutory rape consent in winnipeg for a 21 year old female to date a 16 year old boy [ 7 Answers ]

Im am a 16 year old boy going on 17 in a few months, I'm in a relationship with a 20 year old female, her parents and my parents agree with our relationship, can she be charged with statuatory rape?

Can a 17 year old legally date a 23 year old? [ 8 Answers ]

Can a 23 year old male and 17 year old female legally date in the state of Pennsylvania?

Can a 16-year old girl date a 21-year old guy in GA? [ 4 Answers ]

I am 16 years old and I wanted to know if it was illegal for my boyfriend to be 21 years old. I know that the age of consent in Georgia is 16, but what exactly does that mean... does that mean that me and him are able to date each other?? I've read that the age gap can't be more than 4 years, so...

Is it legal for an 18 year old to date a 15 year old in Oregon? [ 5 Answers ]

So we are just under 3 years difference and my mother with full custody of me is fine with but my dad doesn't know.

View more questions Search