Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vhraniva Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2009, 10:35 AM
    Is it okay for a senior guy in high school to date a freshman girl ?
    Is it okay for a senior guy in high school to date a freshman girl ?
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2009, 10:40 AM

When I was in high school, guys that did that we're seen as losers but the grade 9 girl looked "cool". I don't know how your school is when it comes to that. Plus you are 17/18 and she's only 14/15- sometimes there is a lack of maturity.

In my opinion, find someone in your grade or even someone in grade 11.

Sarah
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Apr 20, 2009, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mudweiser View Post
    When I was in high school, guys that did that we're seen as losers but the grade 9 girl looked "cool". I don't know how your school is when it comes to that. Plus you are 17/18 and she's only 14/15- sometimes there is a lack of maturity.

In my opinion, find someone in your grade or even someone in grade 11.

Sarah
    I'm going to have to go against that. That sounds very stereotypical. It depends if you care what others think of you.

Just be aware that it might not last because you're graduating next year and it won't be easy to maintain the relationship.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2009, 12:19 PM

That's why I said the word, sometimes and told him that that is what happened at my old high school- not all high schools are the same.

However if he is 18 he shouldn't be dating any freshman.

Sarah
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2009, 12:21 PM

I don't understand condoning a relationship representing an at least three year age gap in high schoolers.

Without the appropriate information he would be over the age of consent while she would be under.

If she had asked if she was 14 or 15 and her boyfriend was 17 or 18 as would be the case with a freshman/senior relationship, this is to great of an age gap. 17 or 18 yo is a very hormonal age. The commonality of the relationship would not sustain and I would be highly against it. As will the freshman's parents, I would imagine.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2009, 12:25 PM

I think we have all heard stories of a relationship this way working out, but that is feeding into a fairy tale... like the pretty woman scenerio - some hooker will be saved by some rich guy falling for her.

I think that it is just in the freshman's best interest to date in her own age range if this is 'meant to be' then it can still be when they are both adults.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Apr 20, 2009, 12:36 PM

I agree a bit with Sarah on this one here.

When I was a high school freshman I dated a senior, and it made me look "cool" to my peers but I guess you could say but everyone older saw him as a loser. It didn't take long for me to realize the same thing. There was a huge lack of maturity involved that made even me step back say say, "Whoa, you need to grow up."
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2009, 09:05 AM

I dated a freshman when I was a senior. Not sure how others portrayed me because, well I never really cared what others thought of me. I had a lot of friends, so I guess they didn't see a problem with it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 23, 2009, 10:04 AM

The answer to the OP's question depends on what he means by "okay". Also depends on what he means by dating.

He may be asking if its legal for him to date a freshman. The answer to that is its not illegal. No place has laws governing an age gap when just dating. But if he comtemplates sexual activity, then its probably is illegal, since the age of consent in most places is 16 or older.

Or he may be asking is it OK from a social ethics standpoint. If so, then he would seem to care what others think. And its also true that the age gap at that age is very wide. A 17-18 year old boy, is at a very different maturity level than an 14 year old girl

While such a relationship MAY work, the odds are heavily against it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Freshman/Senior dating [ 18 Answers ]

Is it okay for a freshman(in highschool) to date a senior? I'm good friends with a lot of seniors at my high school through teams and such and I guess people consider me to be mature for my age. I know that some people might answer this question by saying that senior guys are only looking...

18 Year Old Son a Senior High school [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 18 year old son whom is in his senior year. I have raised him alone since 1997 along with his sisters. We are at a stage in his life where he is keeping secrets from me about who his friends are, getting high. He is in counceling and on medication for depression. We were close and I new...

Freshman and Senior [ 4 Answers ]

Ok I have always been wondering if its OK for a freshman to date a senior. Does anyone think in high school that a 3 year gap is that big? Thanks for any answers :D I mean I have my eyes on this older guy (junior) but for now I'm only in the 8th grade so I honestly have no chance, but I was...

High School reunion date or no? (waddya think?) [ 15 Answers ]

My girlfriend of a year and a half is attending a 15th year High-School reunion lunch tomorrow. She is divorced with 2 kids (and lives a crazy-busy schedule), and is going to med studies in a.m. then reunion and then plans time with me and then movie with all of us that evening... So, the...

Freshman Girl [ 12 Answers ]

There is this new freshman girl, that tries to talk to me. But she is shy, and does it through her friend. So when day she comes and sits on my lap at the lunch table. Then my teacher tells her to go back to her seat. The next week or so, she talk to me through her friend. The gives me her number....

View more questions Search