Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Stephy213's Avatar
    Stephy213 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 4, 2008, 06:25 AM
    Teaching in the USA
    Hey guys, don't know if you can help me on this, but I'll give it a shot.
    Im an American citizen living in Australia (11 years in September).
    Im currently in my 2nd year of my Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of English double degree:when Im done, Im a qualified teacher!
    Question: Do you think I'll have trouble getting a job in the USA if I ever move back because I did my whole degree overseas?
    Are there any special requirements prospective teachers have to fulfill before being able to teach that I may not have done?Does it vary state to state?

    Thanks for your help
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    Mar 4, 2008, 06:53 AM
    You will have to review this state by state, all require a teachers certificate for public schools, so it is possible you may have to do some additional requirements to get this, I am not sure if they will reconise a similar certificate from Autrialia.
    3rdgradeteacher's Avatar
    3rdgradeteacher Posts: 18, Reputation: 4
    New Member

    Mar 23, 2008, 04:37 PM
    There used to be reciprocity between states in the US. Once a teacher...
    But not anymore. Every state that I have checked into (not all 50 :) has their own
    State Board of Education that will issue a certificate at a cost to you. Each of the states I know of requires that you graduated from a university/college that they recognize. Then they require additional testing, in some states its called Praxis, to be validated in different subject areas, ie: art, elementary education, high school biology, etc, also at a cost to you.
    Then there are background checks and criminal checks. Some states refuse to offer teaching certificates to holders of specific offences. Contact for example: Pennsylvania State Board of Education.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teaching [ 2 Answers ]

I'd like to know if there are some cool internet pages about "English teaching as a second language". Thanks

Teaching isn't for me, now what? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, This is my 2nd year teaching and I'm miserable. I love "teaching," but feel I'm unable to do that because of all of the politics involved. I have a BA in Elementary Education from a N.C. university and need some direction towards another career path. I have only 5 months of this school...

Usa and indian income for taxes in usa [ 2 Answers ]

Myself and my wife are green card holders .my son,a us citizen gifts us some shares which we sell from time to time and use proceeds for our personal expenses.This totals around $11000 for 2006. In addition myself and my wife have indian income mainly from dividend and interest and also income...

My daughter holds USA birth cert though also a Malaysian, is she still a USA citizen? [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter was born in USA 1991 and holds USA birth certificate but brought up in Malaysia since one year old. Is she a USA citizen? If she likes to study in USA, what immigration procedure required?

Teaching [ 3 Answers ]

Which fields or careers are most welcoming to former teachers or teachers seeking to transition out of teaching?

View more questions Search