Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    SCSM2650's Avatar
    SCSM2650 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 2, 2014, 07:33 AM
    Working a US Work From Home job in a foreign country?

    I am about to secure a "work from home" job here in the US. That said, it looks like I may have to move out of the US (at least for awhile) to the Philippines. If I do this, how will it affect my taxes?

    If it matters, I'm a native-born US citizen...

    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Apr 2, 2014, 12:54 PM
    It will NOT affect your taxes at all, at least initially, since all world-wide income must be reported on your U.S. tax return.

    However, if you get settled in the Philippines, the Philippine government will eventually come to collect the taxes on income earned while you are in THEIR country. At that time, you can look at the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (Form 2555) and/or the Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am working in a foreign country and I am feeling very lonely [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am 23, I am from Spain and I am working in Finland, in a town 100km far from Helsinki, this is a small town, there isn't too many stuff to do. I was here a couple of months before, with two spanish guys and it was easier as we could support each other and talk in spanish. I made a lot...

Break lease because of new job in a foreign country [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to know if there are any regulations/rights when you have to leave an apartment before the end of the lease if you have been transferred by your company in a foreign country or because you have found another job in a foreign country? I mean, is there any possibility to...

J-1 (Two-yr foreign residency waiver) from home country [ 1 Answers ]

Background: ------------------ An individual on a J-1 Exchange visitor US visa ( who is subject to Two year foreign residence requirement) is normally required to obtain a waiver of the Two year requirement, if he/she wants to obtain a change of visa status to certain visa classes One of the...

US citizen working in foreign country and 1099 [ 1 Answers ]

For a US citizen working as a contractor in foreign country for a US company, does he/she needs a 1099 from the US company? Amount is over $600.

View more questions Search