Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Pree's Avatar
    Pree Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 15, 2007, 07:39 PM
    Working in PA on a H1B Visa. Canadian citizen
    Hi there
    I am currently working on an H1B Visa for a non-profit. I am a Canadian citizen and been working here since the start of Sept 2006. Which Non Resident form do I fill out for federal income taxes? Is it the 1040EZ? Also, must I fill out a (PA) state income tax form as well? As a H1B holder, I've heard that I can claim additional expenses (travel). Is this true? Please advise on the best option available to me. Also, I've heard that deductions for Medicare and SSN should not apply to me. Is this true? I can't seem to get a definitive on it as I'm with a Non-profit. Will I be able to retrieve these contributions once I move back to Canada?

    Thank you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Mar 18, 2007, 09:50 PM
    You can claim the travel expenses if they are business-related AND if you were not reimbursed as an employer business expense regardless of your visa status. You would have to File Form 1040NR to claim them.

    If your travel expenses are reimbursed, then go with the Form 1040NR-EZ.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can F1 visa be transferred to H1B visa with out joining OPT program? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Currently I am MSC student on F1 visa currently authorized to work .I have been working as a software engineer,network engineer and web developer for the last six years . I am confused about the conversion of F1 to H1B Visa status. Can I Change my F1 visa to H1B visa with out joining the OPT...

L-1 Visa Married to US Citizen [ 1 Answers ]

My spouse entered the US 10/24/05 as a L-1 Visa holder (filed 1040NR for 2005) and having remained in the US since then, we were married 11/1/06. I am a US born citizen with a dependent child - my spouse has no income outside of the US at this time. Can we file our taxes on form 1040 Married...

F1 to H1b as a Single Canadian [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Canadian citizen. I have worked with OPT status until June of 2006 in Michigan and switched to H1b and has been working in Maryland since July 2006. I filed as 1040NR in 2005 but I do not know how I should handle this year. The portion of 2006 where I was non-resident alien had only my...

Canadian with J1 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am Canadian, and I possess a J1 Visa which indicates that I am a trainee. I am doing my internship for a private company in USA for four months. I have the following tax questions. Please help. I am very confused by US's complex tax system. 1. What form do I file the tax with? (I...

F1-OPT-H1B(Indian citizen) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Need some help with my tax situation. Citizenship:India Came to US: Aug 2002 Have been in US since then. Worked on OPT status from March 2005 to September 2005

View more questions Search