Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    KiranP's Avatar
    KiranP Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 23, 2006, 07:48 AM
    Working in Milwaukee, WI on L1-B Visa
    I'm working in Milwaukee, WI on L1-B Visa for 3 months. I started here on Oct 11th'06 and will be here till Jan7th-2006. My company is a indian subsidiary and I have transferred here on L1-B. My salary is 5224 USD per month. My salary is paid by the Indian company not the US company. Whether I should pay taxes?
    Also, I would like know:
    (1) What is the total tax I should pay for year 2006 (I started my work here from 12Oct2006)? And for 2007?
    (2) What forms I should filing IT returns and what is the last date for filing IT Returns?
    (3) Is it possible to file IT Returns from India? (e-filing)
    (4) Do, I have to obtain any forms my company before leaving from US on Jan7th?

    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,834, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Nov 23, 2006, 09:19 AM

    1) You will owe taxes on money earned while in the U.S. Total income will be about $15,000. The taxes should be withheld from your paychecks. What you owe exactly will depend on whether you qualify for any treaty exemptions. Check out IRS Pub 901 for details, which can be downloaded from

    2) You will need to file Form 1040NR-EZ or 1040NR.

    3) You can file from anywhere in the world, but efiling Form 1040NR-EZ or 1040NR will be difficult.

    4) Your company should provide you a W-2 to document your U.S.-based pay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes for a J1 visa living in NY and working in NJ [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am a Non resident alien under J1 visa and French permanent resident. It is my first tax return in the US. I live in NY and have worked both in NY (5% of time) and in NJ. So I filled up the forms 1040NR for the federal return, 8833 for the French-US exemption but also IT-203 , IT-203 ATT for...

Federal Forms for a F1 Visa to H1 VISA [ 5 Answers ]

I understand many people are in the same boat and I am also in the Same boat as all. Let me present my case and have it clear understanding for all First I was on OPT status from 1st January 2004 to 13th Oct 2004. I changed my status from F1 -> H1B on 14th Oct 2004. Hence my status from 14th...

F-2 Visa [ 2 Answers ]

What is the suggested documentation for obtaining a student visa?Are there any pitfalls to watch for, what will be the chances of obtaining visa?

Milwaukee braves- 1958 [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know the uniform numbers of the following Milwaukee Braves from the 1958 team: Warren Spahn (21?) Lew Burdette Hank Aaron (44?) Eddie Matthews (41?) Del Crandall (1?) Red Schoendienst Joe Adcock

View more questions Search