Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    amit_patel555's Avatar
    amit_patel555 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 1, 2006, 01:43 PM
    Wife on H4, need to file 3 state returns and 1 federal
    Hello There,

    I am on H1B Work Visa since last 3.5 years now and have been filing tax return as single since last 3 years.

    I got married on Dec 29th 2005 in India and have marriage certificate from india.

    My spouse is a Malaysian Citizen born and brought up there. She came to USA on H4 dependent visa on Feb 11th 2006.

    She visited USA for 4 weeks in Aug 2005 on a Tourist Visa when we were not married at that time. She does not pass the substantial presence test for year 2005.

    I work for Deloitte & Touché where I have to travel a lot at different client sites and hence have 3 W2's. One from VA (my home state), one from NY and one from RI.

    My questions:

    1) Should I file as single or married filing joint or married filing separately ?
    2) Which exact forms should I fill. My annual salary last year was 72000 US dollars ?
    3) My wife has not lived as my dependent in 2005 as such. Can I still claim her as my dependent for tax purposes or not?
    4) What is the procedure that I should follow to get her ITIN?
    5) Since it might take a while to get ITIN I might pass the deadline of April 15th for filing State tax. How do I over come that ?
    6) What are the different kind of exemptions that I can get if I file as married filing joint.
    7) I do not have any deductions as such. The only thing I usually get every year is standard deduction. Does that make any difference if I file jointly or separate?
    8) What is the best course of action if you were in my situation.

    Thanks in advance and Regards,

    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Mar 1, 2006, 05:13 PM

    File Form 1040EZ and file Married Filing Jointly. Put your wife's name in the section for spouse. Leave the SSN area blank.

    Download Form W-7 from and fill it in; have your wife sign it. Make a photocopy of her passport and get the photocopy notarized. Attach both the W-7 and the notarized passport photocopy to the Form 1040EZ and mail it to the address on the Form W-7.

    The IRS will issue her an ITIN, insert the ITIN where the SSN goes, and process the return. They will send you her ITIN by letter.

    If you do this sometime this week, there is a good chance you will get the ITIN back before April 15th, at which time you can file your state tax returns.

    Now, filing the state returns can be tricky. You may want to get professional help to keep from paying too much tax.

    Contact me at [email protected] if you want to use my services.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Federal or state taxes on inheritance money [ 6 Answers ]

:) Hi, My father recently passed away and left 50,000 dollars to shared by 4 of his children,The lump sum is to go to my brother and he is to distribute it equally,He say's about 33% has to go to federal and state taxes,We live in Ohio,can you tell me if that is true? :eek: Thanks so much...

On H1 Married and wife in india + filing tax returns... [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I was in US - California from Oct 30 2005 to Dec 25 2005. For this period, I have W2 from my empoloyer. Now again back in US - Iowa in Feb 10, 2006 and will be here for another 6months. I am married, no children and my wife is in India and will be joining me only in May or June 2006. I got...

Federal tax returns [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Here is my scenario - I was on F1 student visa from Aug 2002-July 2005 and on OPT after that. I started my H1B visa on Oct 1 2005. I went to India for about 3 weeks in Nov-Dec 2005. I have the following questions about my tax status - 1) Would I be filing the usual 1040NR-EZ and 8843...

Do I file federal taxes if I didn't paid any [ 4 Answers ]

Do I file fereal taxes if I have not paid any I only for 3 months but only for one day a week (71/2 hours a days for 3 months ) I been on LOA for a year . I filed in 2004 (work until I went on Medical leave) I have 2 children so that why they didn't take any federal...

State Returns - NY MO [ 1 Answers ]

(I filed the NY and Fed Extensions on time.) Last Year 2004, I moved from MO to NY. My new job began in Jan 04, in NYC, so all taxes were set up that way, as I was moving. My home in NY was purchased in June 04, the MO home sale ended in July 04. My Question is: How many state returns do I...

View more questions Search