Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    ejm2009's Avatar
    ejm2009 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 25, 2009, 08:41 AM
    When to apply for ITIN?
    My wife is on h1b visa and I am on h4, she has her SSN and been working here in US since 2007. I came here in US with our daughter last Mar.2009. My wife already filed her W2 last feb.2009 for the year 2008.
    Question: Can we apply for ITIN now (for me and our daughter)? In advance before the 2009income tax return filing season.

    We understand that ITIN nos. are given for tax purposes only but I am desperately needing to have my ITIN now cause I want to take a state board exam this coming October 2009, the requirement for exam application is particular on providing ITIN/SSN or the application for the exam will not be processed.

    Anybody? Help. Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,780, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jun 25, 2009, 09:56 AM
    You must submit the Form W-7 to apply for an ITIN WITH the tax return.

    Your best solution In my opinion is for your wife to amend her 2007 tax return to file jointly with you (the fact that you were in your home country is irrelevent; you can still file jointly for 2007. You may need to include your income for 2007 on the amendment, but I suspect you would still get a refund from that amendment, in addition to being issued an ITIN.

    Once you have the ITIN, you can then amend her 2008 tax return as well to file jointly.

    An alternative solution is for you to submit the W-7 by itself under an exception to the rule requiring submission with a tax return. You would need to attach a letter from the state board citing the need for the ITIN.

    If you need professional help to amend the returns, email me at

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I apply for ITIN for my kid at any time? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I filed tax returns first time in US. I already submitted/filed my 2008 tax returns online without including my kid, who stayed with me more than 7 months in 2008. Some of my friends told that if I include my kid, I get some child tax credit. I gooled about the same and got little...

Apply ITIN outside USA [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a Chinese citizen and now resident in Canada. I want to apply ITIN to use tax treaty on the income from resources in US. So I don't need any tax return form because of Exception #1, is that right? Which tax treaty should I use? US-China, or US-Canada, or can I choose?

Do I need to apply for ITIN for dependent ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am having L1B visa and my spouse and kids are on L2 visa. I am having my SSN. I work in NY and stay in NJ. Do I need to get ITIN for spouse and Kid for federal and state Tax both ? If Yes, When can I apply for ITIN for dependent?I will really appreciate, If any one can brief me about...

How to Apply for ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am on H1 and my wife came here last week on H4. I am also in the process of changing my job and my H1 transfer application is with USCIS right now. I wanted to apply for her ITIN. I know I am suppose to fill up W7 form. But is there anything else that she needs to apply for her Driver;s...

View more questions Search