Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Saline1's Avatar
    Saline1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 11, 2010, 08:06 AM
    W8 Ben Form
    After retiring, I moved back permanently to the UK a year ago from the US. I have dual citizenship and want to transfer my 401k funds from the US to the UK. I was informed I would need to fill out a W8 Ben form as I may be eligible for the Treaty tax rate. Is this accurate?
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 11, 2010, 11:57 AM
    You should consult with an international tax expert on a face-to-face basis to have him research this carefully before submitting the W-8BEN.

    There are variables associated with this that defy an off-the-cuff answer, and, quite frankly, I do not have the time to do the research on this without compensation.
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Jan 12, 2010, 01:32 AM

    I don't think you can file Form W-8BEN if you are a U.S. citizen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Form 1099 received, but do I report on Form 1040 or just Form 2106? [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings. I'm hoping I can get some help on what to do with a 1099-MISC form I received from my employer that were for business expense reimbursements. I have read through some questions and answers already and based on them I'm going to file this as a Form 2106. The question is should I...

When do I have to file form w8-BEN? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a resident-alien (passed the substantial presence test) for tax purposes. I opened a stock trading account with I am requested to send form W8-BEN. I was reading instructions and it says, w8-BEN is applicable only for non-resident aliens. Do I even have to file wait or is there...

Former H1-B holder and W8-BEN [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I used to work in NYC (on a H1-B visa) and have accumulated about $20000 in my company's 401K account but have since moved back to Canada (I'm a Canadian citizen). I have requested a withdrawal of the full amount and I just received a request to fill out the W8-BEN form by the Bank of NY (I...

Ben-Hur [ 1 Answers ]

I am wondering who the producer is of the 1959 movie of Ben-Hur. Also, did it win any awards? Thank you!?

View more questions Search