Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    grantmcf's Avatar
    grantmcf Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 5, 2009, 11:31 PM
    UK resident on J1 visa in past, now on H1B visa. Tax payable?

    I am a UK resident. I worked as a visiting professor for 18 months in 2002-3 on a J1 visa. I paid no US tax during that time. I did not file a tax return. I returned to the US this month on an H1B visa to work for a year as a visiting professor. What US tax do I have to pay?


    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Apr 6, 2009, 09:23 AM

    For the years on J1, even when your income was not subject to income tax, you were required to file tax return (and Form 8843) and claim treaty deduction.

    When did you enter the U.S. on H1-B? Are you married or single? On H1-B, you must pay FICA taxes and income taxes. Read about H1-B tax filing: Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Visas
    grantmcf's Avatar
    grantmcf Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 10, 2009, 07:28 PM
    Thanks. I am married with 2 children, aged 6 and 9. I entered the US on 3/23/09.
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Apr 11, 2009, 08:25 AM

    Your H1-B income is subject to FICA taxes, and income taxes.
    For 2009, you can file dual status return or married filing jointly.
    grantmcf's Avatar
    grantmcf Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 11, 2009, 08:51 AM
    Thanks. My original question actually had to do with the US-UK tax treaty and the fact that I have worked in the US before, for 18 months on a J1 visa. Do I have to pay federal income tax now that I have returned to work in the US on an H1-B visa? I am a UK resident.
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Apr 11, 2009, 09:43 AM

    No you do not pay tax on J1 exempt income of 2002-2003.
    grantmcf's Avatar
    grantmcf Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 11, 2009, 04:25 PM

    That is correct. My question is: am I exempt from withholding of Federal Income Tax now that I am back in the US on an H1-B visa, given that I am a British citizen?
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jun 9, 2009, 12:50 PM
    No, you are NOT exempt.

    The H-1B visa is a work visa, and you are subject to all of the taxes that U.S. citizens pay.
    mack20007's Avatar
    mack20007 Posts: 78, Reputation: 5
    Junior Member

    Jun 10, 2009, 03:18 AM
    There maybe a small area of opportunity for tax exemption.

    If this individual is a visiting professor, he maybe an independent contractor. And, under the Uk tax treaty an I.C. is exempt from US tax. The tax treaty presumes an individual is an resident of their country, in this case the UK, however he maybe a resident for US purposes under the substantial prescense test, therefore a dual resident.

    In which case the treaty must be resorted to using the tie-breaker rules in it to determine which country he is a resident of for treaty purposes. If the treaty says he's a resident of the Uk, he's automatically a NR for US purposes, file 1040NR claiming the treaty benefits.

    An outside possibility exists also under the saving clause provisions in many treaties, I didn't look at the UK treaty on this. It says even if he is a US resident, he'll still be exempt under the treaty and claim benefits also under the saving clause provision. Pub 519 has an example of this with China.

    Therefore I'd refer him to the treaty or someone who can spend time analizing it.

    In the long and short of it, if he is staying here from Mar through Dec, the odds are against him being a dual resident, but the tie breaker rules should still be looked at.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax payable in US from online income in India for an H1B visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am on an H1B visa in the US. If I have additional income from online consultancy work that is being generated in India that is subject to TDS (tax deducted at source) in India, do I have to report that income to the IRS here in the US for tax purposes? Thanks

Federal Tax payable for H1B visa holder [ 3 Answers ]

I would be traveling to Philadelphia (PA) from India on work for 9-12 months. I would be paid by the US counterpart of my co. ~$4,000 per month (in the form of daily allowances). I'd however continue getting my salary in INR back home. My wife and kid plan to join me in 2-3 months' time. We'd be...

Estmated Tax Payable for L-1 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I will be going to be transferred to my holding company in Houston mid this 2008 and will like to know the estimated tax that I need to pay working there. The following are some of my information: 1. I am a Singapore Citizen 2. I am married with 2 children (4 and 2 years old). My family...

B1 status changed to J1 visa , filing tax as non resident vs resident [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I have been in the US for 1.5 years. I arrived on July 2006 to work as a physician alien and research scholar. I was previously in the US partially for at least 6 months each of the previous years from 2002 to 2005 on a B1 visa. When I came to the US in 2006 I had a J1 visa. I filled last...

1st year under L1 visa - Foreign Income - resident or not resident [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in Miami and have a L1A VISA since May 2006 and getting a US-based salary since then. Am I considered non-resident alien or resident alien ? I received both foreign-based salary and US-based salary during all 2006. What do I write in line #21 description ? "Foreign income" ?...

View more questions Search