Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    leo517's Avatar
    leo517 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 7, 2008, 10:38 PM
    Is there tax deduction for home loan in other country for property in that country?
    If a person is carrying a home loan in some other country (outside US) for some property in that country is there any tax relief/deduction from IRS for such person ?
    IntlTax's Avatar
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

    Feb 8, 2008, 06:33 AM
    Mortgage interest on a second home is deductible on schedule A as an itemized deduction, even if the second home is located outside the U.S. The interest should be reported on Schedule A on the line that says mortgage interest not reported on Form 1098. However, if you reside in the U.S. and the lender is a foreign bank, then you are required to withhold 30% tax on the interest portion of the payments, unless a lower treaty rate applies. If you want to rely on the treaty, you need to obtain a Form W-8BEN from the foreign bank where the bank certifies that it qualifies for treaty benefits. In either case, you will need to also file Form 1042 and 1042-S reporting that you made interest payments to foreign persons.
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Feb 8, 2008, 01:10 PM
    I really doubt that you can withhold 30% tax for the interest paid to a foreign bank. For the bank it is not a U.S. source income.
    Bank will not issue W-8BEN.
    Foreign bank in a foreign country has nothing to do with the U.S. taxes.
    IntlTax's Avatar
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

    Feb 8, 2008, 01:26 PM
    Interest income is sourced based on the residence of the obligor. Code § 861(a)(1) ("The following items . . . shall be treated as income from sources within the United States . . . . Interest from . . . obligations of noncorporate residents . . . "). This is not a purely theoretical matter. In Housden v. Commissioner, 63 TCM 2063 (1992), a U.S. resident had existing loans from a Canadian bank prior to moving to the U.S. After he moved to the U.S. he continued to make payments on the loans from the Canadian bank. The Tax Court held that he was liable for the withholding tax.

    While I agree that it is likely impossible to obtain a W-8 from a foreign bank and that the bank would not accept anything less than the full amount of the payment, I like to make individuals in this circumstance aware of their risk/obligation.
    taxbizschool's Avatar
    taxbizschool Posts: 7, Reputation: 2
    New Member

    Feb 11, 2009, 02:48 AM
    According to IRS and legally it is very correct that you can take a tax deduction of Foreign Home Mortgage Interest paid on a foreign Home. But at the same time it very impractical to take this deduction for the following reasons:

    1. You need to get Form 1098 form the recipient of the interest to report this HMI.
    2. Even if you do not get this Form 1098 from the lender, you need to report the SSN or EIN of the recipient to report on SCH A. Else you will be disallowed the deduction and in addition you will be levied a penalty of $50.
    3. Generally the foreign bank will never give you the Form 1098 or its EIN, because they are at obligation to pay 30% (applicable tax treaty rate) to the IRS.
    4. The tax payer has also has an obligation to withhold taxes from the interest payment, for which no foreign bank will permit.
    5. Resident Aliens of US has to pay their tax to US on their world wide income(not only income from US but income from outside US). Resident Aliens should also think of applicable capital gains tax in case they sell the house property.
    Five Rings's Avatar
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7
    Full Member

    Feb 11, 2009, 09:39 AM

    That is really interesting... wow, I never considered that. Particularly appreciated the citation there INTLTax.

    Of course, the same rule does not apply to US taxpayers abroad.
    IntlTax's Avatar
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

    Mar 3, 2009, 08:01 AM


    1. You do not need a Form 1098. Foreign banks do not issue 1098s and there is no requirement to have a 1098.

    2. See item 1 - Form 1098 is not applicable.

    3. See item 1 - Form 1098 is not applicable.

    4. Agree that the payer of the interest has the obligation to withhold.

    I also agree with Five Rings that the same rule does not apply to U.S. citizens or residents living abroad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Home loan tax benefits in US when buying property in India [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am working in US for last few months. I want to buy an apartment in my home country India. Can someone please share knowledge on how much tax benefits can I avail in US if I take home loan from an Indian bank for an apartment in India ? Thanks.

Paying mortgage in home country [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I moved to US in Aug 2006 on a L1A visa, can you advise: 1. Since I don't meet the substantially presence test, do I need to file in April? Even if I don't need to file in April, can I elect to file in April as NR? 2. I pay mortgage in my country of citizenship, Jamaica, and was...

Tax status of child living away in home country of resident allien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been on H1-B status since May 2005. And My wife has been on H1-B Status since June 2005. We both on H1-B status for the complete year 2006. We are bringing our daughter to USA for the first time this end of April or First week of May on My H4 dependent VISA. Is there any IRS rule...

Tax status about child living away in home country of resident allien [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Me and My wife are from India and both of us working in USA on H1B visa status. We have a 7 year old daughter who is staying with her grand parents in India and studying There. We send money to her grand parents for all her expenses. Now we are decided to Bring our daughter this end of...

View more questions Search