Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    agrawalmaha's Avatar
    agrawalmaha Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 19, 2007, 08:00 AM
    Is there a specific list of deductions that a person on H1B can claim?
    I have a few friends who state that if you are on H1B and working as a consultant through a consulting company, there are various deductions that you can claim.

    For e.g.

    1) Rent
    2) Grocery and utilities
    3) Gas Mileage.
    And some others...

    Going through some of the websites I understand if your consulting location is 50 miles further from your residence, you can claim some of the above mentioned deductions.

    But is it true irrespective, if you are staying (your permanent residencey for that time) in the location where your job is, you can claim these deductions.

    Please advice.

    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Mar 21, 2007, 11:56 AM
    1) No.

    2) No

    3) Maybe; depends on the nature of your work.

    If you have effectively relocated to your client's location, you have moved your tax home to the new location. If you expect that the move will exceed a year, you have no case for saying the move was temporary.

    Claiming the rent and daily living expenses is a common mistake on multiple H-1B workers' tax returns, and the IRS is beginning to review such returns, looking specifically for such deductions. They are NOT hard to find.

    Once the team that the IRS is putting together gets involved with this audit process, I expect there will be thousands of audit notices for returns from the last ten years sent to these individuals, be they in the U.S. or back in their home country (the home country's governemts will collect the tax for the IRS as part of reciprocity agreements).

    The back taxes and penalties will be in the thousands of dollar, and the H-1B workers in the U.S. will be lucky if all they have to do is pay the taxes, because the IRS could take the position that making such claims amounts to tax fraud, which could result in the H-1B worker being deported!

    Do NOT claim these deductions! The potential adverse consequences is not worth it!
    agrawalmaha's Avatar
    agrawalmaha Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 22, 2007, 08:11 AM
    Hi David,
    Thanks for the answer. It has been really helpful. Let me forward this to my friends and make sure they do not get into trouble.

    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Mar 26, 2007, 10:35 AM
    Glad to help! PLEASE spread the word!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B with W2 can Claim Job Expenses [ 1 Answers ]

I am on H1B visa and on getting W2. But working as consultant to the Client. Can I claim job related expenses like my rental, internet and daily commute charges while filing tax.

How to Claim SS & Medicare on H1B [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am currently working on my H1b Visa. I started working with a company from Jan 2005. Jan 2005 till April 2005 I was on OPT. I got my H1b approved from first week of June. I would like to claim SS & medicare taxes. I am the only H1b guy in this company so HR people are not aware how to...

Tuition fee deductions on H1B [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks for your reply. Hi, As per this Link , I am not sure whether I AM RESIDENT OR NON RESIDENT ALIEN?

H1B Resident Status deductions [ 3 Answers ]

Last year, I was in dual status (part-OPT, part H1B) and filed a 1040NR-EZ. This year I have become a resident for tax purposes as I have been in H1B throughout 2005. So I have to file 1040/1040EZ. Last year, with 1040NR-EZ, claimed $5000 standard deduction as I am a citizen of India. Can I still...

F-1 Foreign Student in USA - can I claim ANY deductions? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm an F-1 visa student form Canada studying in the US. As a non-resident for tax purposes, I don't seem to be eligible to claim any of the credits in pub. 970. Are there any deductions I can claim to increase my return beyond that provided by the standard 1040-EZ? Is there any way I can...

View more questions Search