Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    psnarang's Avatar
    psnarang Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 3, 2006, 08:54 AM
    Taxes for two States
    I have been in US from 2004 on L1 visa, and last year my company filed a return for me.I was transferred from Helena,Montana to Minneapolis and I travelled on my car and took my things along with me.
    By what rate I can claim the transportation.What form should I use to claim the amount.

    I was paying some medical insurance from my pocket for first six months of year 2005.
    Can I get benefit for the same.What form should I use to claim the amount.

    I have two w2 forms and no form does not reflect that I paid anything as insurance.

    How can I show my salary for compution of tax for two different states.

    What form should I use to fill my Fedral Incometax return
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,815, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Feb 3, 2006, 10:46 AM

    You can claim the moving expense mileage on Form 3903. There are two mileage rates (I believe it is 40.5 cents from 1 Jan to 31 Aug 05, and 48.5 cents for the rest of 2005). Check the instructions for Form 3903 for confirmation. Both form and instructions can be download from

    Unless you are self-employed (get paid under Form 1099-MISC), it is very difficult to deduct insurance costs. First, you have to itemize. Second, the amount that represents 7.5% of your adjusted gross income is not deductible. It is unlikely that you can deduct your medical insurance costs.

    You will have to file state income tax returns for Montana and Minnesota to reflect income earned in each state. Hopefully, the W-2s break out the income as such.

    Since you will be filing Form 3903, you will need to file Form 1040.

    If this seems too difficult, I am available to prepare your return. Contact me at You will find my fees to be very good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing Tax for 2 states [ 1 Answers ]

I am working as a software consultant in IOWA and my employer is in NJ. My employer has given me a w 2 which is for NJ. I have worked in IOWA only in last year. I did not earn any income in NJ. Because my employer is in NJ, my withheld state tax goes is going to NJ. For which state Should I file...

Which states I should file taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I am an MBA student ( on F1 visa) in North Carolina, and did my internship in New York during summer last year. I stayed in New Jersey while doing my internship. I also have income from working in school as well. Now, which states am I required to file taxes. Can you recommend some easy sites...

2 W2's from 2 States [ 1 Answers ]

I have 1st W2 from NY and 2nd from CA. I know that I have to use my total income from 2 W2's for federal tax. How about state tax? Should I use total income for both states? Or I should use NY income only from NY for NY state tax and CA income for CA state tax? Thanks for help.

3 states taxes + ITIN for wife [ 3 Answers ]

Hello experts, I've been on H1 for the whole of 2005. I got married in Aug 2005 and my wife joined me in Nov on H4. I have three W-2 forms for three different states for 2005. Now, this is the first time I am going to do my taxes on my own. So - 1) Do I file as "Married filing jointly" or...

View more questions Search