Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    ijb2672's Avatar
    ijb2672 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 7, 2006, 09:59 AM
    Taxes For Indian Students
    I am a Indian student on F1 at Georgia. I am married and my wife is in F2 visa. We are directly coming from india. I am getting full tuition waiver and graduate assistantship. I wanted to know what will be the portion of taxes withheld every month from my slary and whether the indian US treaty will help in reducing the withhelding amount. If my income is say $1000, what will be the total amount of federal and state taxes, incurred on my income.
    Please let me know ASAP.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,834, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jul 7, 2006, 06:11 PM
    As an F-1 visaholder, you must file Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, as well as Form 8843. You are entitled to a personal exemption of about $3,300 for 2006.

    Because you are an Indian citizen, you can claim your wife as a dependent, which is another $3,300 exemption. Further, you can claim the $5,100 standard deduction as a result of the U.S.-India Tax Treaty.

    This means that the $11,700 earned will NOT be taxed. You must file the tax return noted, but if your income is less than $11,700, you will owe no taxes.

    Finally, as a F-1 visa holder, any income you earn is totally exempt from Social Securtiy and Medicare taxes.

    As for Georgia, you will file Form 500 just like any other Georgia resident.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099 taxes for Indian F1 student [ 7 Answers ]

Hi AtlantaTaxExpert Thank you in advance for your time. I truly appreciate you sharing your knowledge and helping everyone out. I am currently an undergraduate student, on an F-1 Visa. I am studying in MA and am a citizen of India. I arrived in the US on August 2003. Starting from my freshman...

Exemptions for Non resident Indian on H1 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US on H1 in Oct 2005. (I do not satisfy the substantial presence test). I suppose I need to file the 1040NR-EZ form. 1. Can I claim the 5000$ standard deduction under India US treaty as a business apprentice (I do not know who qualifies to be a business apprentice)? 2. Am I...

F1-OPT-H1B(Indian citizen) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Need some help with my tax situation. Citizenship:India Came to US: Aug 2002 Have been in US since then. Worked on OPT status from March 2005 to September 2005

Capital Gains Taxes for an indian non resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I wanted to find out if I am liable for capital gains taxes on my primary home that I plan to sell. It is the very first house that I have bought. I am an indian citizen and on F-1 visa. India does have a tax treaty with US but I am not sure what the IRS says with respect to capital gains. Can...

Taxes for Indian Citizen on H1 in US [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen from India. I am currently on H1 visa. I have been on H1 since 2003. Which tax form should I file? Am I allowed to be treated as non resident under tax treaty and file NR form? Last year I was a dual status but instead filed 1040 EZ. I think I could have filed 1040 NR...

View more questions Search