Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Ahuertas's Avatar
    Ahuertas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 29, 2013, 08:12 AM
    Taxation on rental income for G4 visa holders
    Good morning,

    I'm a G4 visa holder working full time in an international organization. I own a condo in DC, still paying mortgage for the next 25 years.

    I am planning to move to a larger place, also in the US. In case I decide to keep and rent put the condo, how would the rental income be taxed?

    1) 30% flat on gross income? Which I understand it's taxation on rental income for non-resident aliens, when the property is not connected to a trade or business in the US.

    2) at the normal US Income Tax progressive rate. Which I understand is taxation on rental income for resident aliens, or for non-resident aliens when the property is connected to a trade or business in the US.

    Thank you very much for your assistance!
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,815, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 29, 2013, 11:33 PM
    You will file as a non-resident alien, filing Form 1040NR and Schedule E to report the rental income and all allowed expenses.

    If the result of the tax calculations shows a loss on the Schedule E, no tax will be due.

    If there is a profit, it will be taxed at the progressive rates.

    If you need professional help, email me at the email address in my preofile (if you cannot see it below).
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Jan 31, 2013, 06:12 AM
    Rental income is considered U.S. source income so it is taxable. You will report your rental income and expenses on schedule E (Form 1040).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxation of Rental Income for Indian F-1 Student [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian Citizen and Resident, studying in the US with an F-1 Visa. I'm renting out my car through an online website, and I get 60% of the rental rate as income. As long as this is reported to the IRS on a 1099-MISC in Box 1 (rental income), I think I am safe and this will not...

Us income tax for l1 visa holders [ 1 Answers ]

On L1B visa. Came in July 2012. Will return on mar 2013. Wife and child in india(india passport holders). Might or might not come to usa. What should be my filing status?

Taxation of G4 visa holders [ 3 Answers ]

Can a (dependent of a) G4 visa holder opt to file taxes as resident and use form 1040 instead of form 1040NR?

Us income tax for l1 visa holders [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US from India on L1 VISA on Oct 12, 2009 and planning to stay for more than 1 year. I got my W2 from my employer, I have some queries regarding the Tax filing - 1. Can I file the Tax as a Resident? 2. Do I need to wait till the completion of 183 days, which will be on April 13,...

Interest income for G-4 visa holders. [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Hi! I know that earned income is not taxable for G-4 visa holders, but what about bank interest income? Is there a limit/threshold? For instance, if I earned over $5,000.00 in interest for the year in deposit accounts, is some of that taxable? Also, if I filed taxes with my spouse (who...

View more questions Search