Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    lambda3's Avatar
    lambda3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 16, 2009, 12:31 AM
    Tax Withholding/Forms for Canadian Intern Working in California for Summer

    What is the tax withholding/rules for a Canadian citizen/resident who will be temporarily working at a US firm for the summer?

    I am not familiar with the new amendments to the Canadian/US tax treaty

    Thank you
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jun 16, 2009, 08:48 AM
    If you are working INSIDE the United States, you must withhold at SINGLE rate with either ONE or ZERO exemption.

    If you are working OUTSIDE of the United States, you have NO U.S. income tax liability and should be exempt from withholding on U.S. taxes.

    Whether you are liable for U.S. FICA taxes depends on the visa you are working under.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Withholding Tax of US company while working from Pakistan [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Currently I am providing software development services from Pakistan (offshore) to a U.S.A based software development company, and they are saying that they will withhold 30% of the amount which is agreed between us for my services. I am also paying income tax in Pakistan, do they really...

Summer working in the US - taxed in the UK? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there! Can you tell me if I will be taxed on any earnings received this summer as a camp counsellor in US please? I am travelling on a J1 Visa and the job will last for nine weeks. I am a UK tax payer so must I declare what I earn there and will I be taxed on it?

Canadian unmarried mom on work visa lives/gives birth in California. [ 1 Answers ]

I am Canadian citizen working legally in California. 2 years ago, I gave birth to a son (unexpected pregnancy). A few months after he was born, I left his father. His father signed a declaration of paternity, and his name is on our son's birth certificate. I have never been married, work full time,...

Canadian looking to work and live in California [ 5 Answers ]

I am a young Canadian woman looking to live in the U.S. (specifically California). I do not currently have a degree or diploma as I am trying to decide what to do in terms of a career path. I am skilled in many areas and have diverse interests so I have struggled to decide where I would like to...

International intern working in the US [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me in telling me what forms I have to fill in for my taxes. I am an intern who works in the USA full-time on a J1 visa and so I would like to know the forms I have to fill in and if I am exempt from any taxes I have already paid? I arrived in June 2008...

View more questions Search