Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    mmagashe's Avatar
    mmagashe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Dec 13, 2007, 09:42 AM
    Tax status for H1B holder
    I am from India and arrived in US for the first time on H1B visa on 10th Nov 2007, and my estimated gross income from salary till Dec 31, is around 11000 USD.
    Will I have to pay tax for this short duration during this financial year and if yes, how is it going to be calculated?

    Thanks in advance
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Dec 13, 2007, 12:46 PM

    Yes, you WILL PROBABLY have some tax obligation.

    If you are single, you will file as a non-resident alien (filing Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ). You will be able to claim a $3,400 personal exemption for yourself. If you have no deductible moving expenses (which depends on what you paid out-of-pocket with no reimbursement from your employer), then about $7,600 will be subject to U.S. income taxes. That will be taxed at 10%.

    You are also liable for FICA (Social Security @ 6.2% and Medicare @ 1.45%) taxes, which are flat taxes assess on each paycheck at the percentages noted.

    You are also liable for STATE income taxes for the $11,000 earned in the particular state in which you worked, unless you are in one of seven states that have NO state income tax.

    If you need professional help to file your return, contact me at [email protected] for a fee quote.
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Dec 13, 2007, 11:33 PM
    Milind files as non-resident alien and will only get personal exemption of $3,400. However he can deduct some moving expenses as itemized deductions. It can be air fair from India to the U.S. and other moving expenses.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Dec 14, 2007, 09:01 AM
    Moving expenses can also be deducted if the moving reimbursement from the employer is given in the form of some type of taxable payment, such as a signing bonus.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B Holder + Wife on F1(stipend) - Filing Status? [ 3 Answers ]

I am on H1B since Oct 2005 (resident alien) and my wife is on F1(non-resident alien) since Aug 2004. We got married last year in June 2006 and live in different states. My wife is into her masters degree program (2nd year) and she gets stipend from her school (teaching assistantship). She has got...

L1 Holder+ L2 Spouse Arrive last August, which status? [ 1 Answers ]

I am on L1 visa arrived US at 8/30/2006, what's my filing status? Resident or non resident? Thanks! Terry

L-1 Visa holder - filing status - Can all the deductions be claimed ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on L-1 Visa in US since Nov 27,2005 through Mar 03, 2006 and was back on Apr 15 2006. My Spose and child joined me in Apr 15,2006. I have filed taxes for 2005 as NR as I was here for a month only. For 2006 I believe I will be a resident alien having passed the substantial...

Federal Tax status for HI-B Visa Holder [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I graduated in May 2005 and have been holding a H1-B visa since December 2005. I am wondering what is my tax status for this year ? Which form should I fIll out? Is it possible for me to file my taxes as if I was a permanent resident even though I do not hold a green card (In the past I was...

View more questions Search