Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    statesman's Avatar
    statesman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 7, 2006, 09:30 AM
    Tax Refund Error - help please
    I was living outside of the US for part of the last tax year; I filed an extension. On Friday my refund was direct deposited into my checking account. I was supposed to get $1850.00, instead I got $18.50. I've tried to get ahold of the IRS, US Treasury, my bank, everyone I can think of; I've had absolutely no luck.

    What do I need to do? Who do I need to call?

    Thanks for your help. I'm just a young guy who's frustrated and badly needs the money.
    RickJ's Avatar
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

    Aug 7, 2006, 01:37 PM
    Now that we're out of tax return season you should get a prompt answer at their main number 1-800-829-1040.

    Surprisingly, I only waited on hold a few minutes when I needed to reach them this year during tax season.

    Give that number a try and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to at least get a human on the line quickly. I can't promise you'll be pleased with their response, as I can guess that a myriad of problems caused the error. You should at least, though, be able to learn what to do next.

    Let us know how it goes.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,818, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Aug 7, 2006, 03:30 PM
    RickJ's advice is very good.

    The first call is to the IRS.

    The second call is to the bank!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

J1 strange refund? [ 6 Answers ]

I was a exchange visitors-internship-with J1. I filed the form 1040NR EZ.My income for one year was about 12300. :( And by the form I supposed to receive refund about 260, but colegues received about 800?? What did I do wrong?? I thought that as J1 internship I shouldn't pay too much taxes?? ...

SS and Medicare refund [ 1 Answers ]

Since my employer took out SS and Medicare while I was on my OPT (until we found out he can't do that) I filed for a refund in January. I haven't heard back form the IRS yet. How lond does this usually take? I'm getting ready to move back home to Austria, so I was wondering if there is a way of...

Deposit Refund [ 5 Answers ]

Landlords, How do you normally handle your deposit refund to tenant? Ask them to leave a forwarding address and mail it to them? If so, how long do you wait to mail it to them? Do you have a standard amount you usually deduct for cleaning of the apartment if they left it gross/ dirty? He left...

Customer Wants refund [ 12 Answers ]

I have a Legal Question, here goes I have a small company that I run in my spare time, Computer work. But anyway, I have sold a complete system to a customer and after a week he wants his money back, a typical non written rule 3-day money back, but that is not written anywhere, in the...

SS/Medicare Refund [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have been working on F1 - OPT for the past 9 months. Though I told my employer that I am not required to pay SS/ Medicare they are being deducted from my pay. What is the procedure to get the SS/medicare taxes back when I file the taxes for this year. Thank you

View more questions Search