Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Cuptor's Avatar
    Cuptor Posts: 9, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Sep 23, 2008, 01:40 PM
    Tax on money coming from parents living abroad
    I live in US and my parents live abroad. They want to help me pay what’s left of my home loan here in US. Do I need to pay taxes on the money coming from them? If yes, what can be done to minimize the tax I have to pay?

    Thank you,
    IntlTax's Avatar
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

    Sep 23, 2008, 07:21 PM

    No U.S. tax to donee on gifts received. To make certain your parents as donors avoid U.S. gift tax on the transfer, you may want to set up a foreign bank account and have them transfer from their foreign account to your foreign account and then you can transfer the cash to the U.S. This approach requires that you file Form TD F 90-22.1.
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Sep 24, 2008, 01:34 AM

    In the U.S. the receiver of the gift does not pay any tax. So you can get money from your parents without any taxes. If your parents are not U.S. citizens and residents then they also don't have any gift tax implication.

    You can get money direct to your U.S. bank account. Getting transferred in your foreign bank is not needed.
    Read Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Gift Tax
    IntlTax's Avatar
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

    Sep 24, 2008, 03:54 AM

    I disagree with MukatA regarding transfers directly to U.S. bank accounts. Further, you can get much better information regarding gifts by nonreadient aliens from Form 709 instructions at (see page 3 of instructions), than by the link MukatA provides.
    jestaxmi's Avatar
    jestaxmi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 8, 2012, 02:42 PM
    Well I agree WITH mukata for the simple fact he qualified his answer by saying "If your parents are NOT US Citizens". If his parents are not US citizens, they won't have a ss# and won't be subject to our IRS.

    If his parents WERE citizens, then I'd agree with IntlTax.

    Can look at these two areas for further details.

    Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Gift Tax

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Living abroad on H1B and filing US tax return [ 10 Answers ]

I am a H1B visa holder since November, 2001. I came to my home country in August, 2006 and applied for my visa extension in the American Embassy. Since August, 2006 I have been waiting for my security clearance and couldn't go back to US. However I've been working with the same employer in my home...

Selling real estate abroad and money coming to the you.S. - what are the taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello - I have an apartment in moscow, russia, which I co-own with my mother. I am u.s. citizen and my mother is u.s. resident alien and we are russian citizens too. In case of sale of the apartment, provided all taxes/dues are paid to russian government what are applicable taxes in the u.s....

US citizen living/working abroad [ 1 Answers ]

I'm helping my sibling file her return. For 2006, she worked for a non-US company while living outside of the US. Her old job, a US-based company, issued a 1099-R for a distribution of about $1,200 in 2006. It's from a profit-sharing plan/pension paid out when she left the company in 2005. ...

Marriage visa - Living abroad [ 1 Answers ]

Help. I am an American living in London with my South Korean wife. We both live and work here in the UK. We recently had a son, who is now also an American passport holder. We have no immediate plans to relocate to the States. My question: Can my wife start the process of becoming an...

View more questions Search