Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    masatoT's Avatar
    masatoT Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    May 10, 2008, 12:27 PM
    Tax form for OPT CONTRACT worker

    I am currently working as OPT and this job is CONTRACT.

    My employer told me that I have to file income tax (federal tax, state tex etc) myself but
    I am not sure which tax form I should file and how much I should be paying since
    The company cannot withhold tax for contractor.

    I have been in U.S. more than 5 years so that I guess I should be
    Treated as residential tax? (use different form than those who stay in U.S. less than
    5 years)

    Could somebody help me which tax form the OPT CONTRACTOR should be filing?
    Do I need to make payments to IRS and states quarterly in Washington states?

    Is there anything else I should be aware of?

    Below is the list of my current status.
    -visa F1
    -OTP contract worker
    -instance, I get $1000 pay check, no tax is withhold. (so I need to keep some for tax)
    -I should be Resident Alien (I filed form w-9 when I start working, w-9 is for resident alien?)


    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    May 10, 2008, 06:57 PM
    You will get 1099-Misc from the employer. This is income as independent contractor or self employed person. This income is reported on schedule C and you can deduct your expenses on schedule C. Net income is subject to SE tax at 15.3%.

    How you will treat the 1099-Misc income, read: Your U.S. Tax Return: W2 vs 1099-Misc: Employee vs Independent Contractor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does contract law apply to a verbal investoment contract. [ 4 Answers ]

I am a Motion Picture Executive Producer. Can the Verbal Contract and Breach thereof be asserted to the Investor to incite his involvement and a written contract with a Breach Clause.

If you commit fraud to enter contract is contract valid? [ 4 Answers ]

Seems like a simle question. What's the answer? Thanks!

How do I fill out "Answer-Contract form? [ 3 Answers ]

I was sued by a credit card company and I was trying to fillout a form to avoid lawyer's fee, but I have a hard time understanding the form . If any one knows the form can you walk me through please? The form is PDL-010.

Upon death of a seller in a real estate contract, how to get a buyer out of contract [ 23 Answers ]

In the state of Missouri, a seller in the middle of a sales contract died. The closing time is not yet lapsed and all the contingencies on the buyer side is fulfilled. There is will in place and an executor named for the estate already. The son (named executor) can not legally sign for the deceased...

Form 1099 received, but do I report on Form 1040 or just Form 2106? [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings. I'm hoping I can get some help on what to do with a 1099-MISC form I received from my employer that were for business expense reimbursements. I have read through some questions and answers already and based on them I'm going to file this as a Form 2106. The question is should I...

View more questions Search