Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    solidp's Avatar
    solidp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 4, 2006, 07:20 PM
    Tax filing: H1 with H4 issue

    I have been in the US since Feb 2005 and have recd. My W-2 to file for taxes. I am married and have two kids but unfortunately, my wife or the kids have not been able to join me here, in the US, so far (March 2006).

    Can I file jointly? From what I have been reading from your replies to others with a H1-H4 combination, I think that I would have to get a W-7 first. But, do I have to get a notary done in India, or ask her to send me the docs duly signed and get the notary done here? Would I have to get her signature(s) on the joint return too?

    What is your advice in this situation?

    I would really appreciate hearing from you in this regards!

    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Apr 5, 2006, 06:39 PM

    You do need the passport copy certified as a true copy. A local government official should be able to do that.

    Yes, she needs to sign both the W-7 and the tax return. Given the time it takes for mail to get to and from India, file Form 4868 to request an extension. If you owe money (even with filing jointly with your wife), mail ahceck with the extension request. If a refund is due, just mail the extension request.

    Unfortunately, you will not be able to claim your children as dependents.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

E-Filing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Can F1 Students use the free e-filing on TurboTax or any other e-filing system Thanks Joe

F1 to H1B tax filing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a little confused about what forms and how many versions of them I must fill out this year. I was an F1 (Canadian) student (on OPT) until 4/1/05. After that date, I became and H1B non-immigrant worker. My employer has broken my income into two separate W-2s. The first, from when I...

Filing for NJ and NY [ 31 Answers ]

I worked in NJ and NY this year. I am a NJ resident. I am using turbo tax. When I do each state filing, do I only enter the W2s that were sent by that state into the respective return or do I need to keep them add them together? Any insight is appreciated. Dave

Filing [ 2 Answers ]

I am legal guardian and conservator of my incapacitated mother. How do I file her taxes?

View more questions Search