Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    openraymond's Avatar
    openraymond Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 14, 2008, 12:17 PM
    Tax exemption for a Chinese with F-1 visa interning under CPT during summer
    Hi, I'm a Chinese student with F-1 Visa. Now I'm doing a paid internship under CPT in New York City. This is my first summer here in the US. Would anyone advise that whether I'm qualified for the tax exemption based on the US-China tax treaty regarding my current income? If so, how should I proceed with my current employer? Thanks in advance.
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Jul 14, 2008, 08:18 PM
    Everyone on F1 and OPT is exempt from residency and FICA taxes for 5-years. Your income is subject to income taxes. You will get deduction of $5000 as per U.S. china tax treaty.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jul 16, 2008, 06:36 AM
    Additionally, you will be able to deduct the NY state income taxes withheld from your salary as an itemized deduction.

    If your employer is withholding NY CITY income taxes, ask that he stop withholding and refund what HAS been withheld, because students on CPT retain their internatinal student status and are, by law, NOT NYC residents and therefore NOT subject to NYC income taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax exemption for a Chinese J-1 visa in a company [ 3 Answers ]

Dear Tax Experts: I came to US with J-1 visa from China for a training program sponsored by AIPT in April. I am working as a visiting scholar in a company and my status is single and have no dependants. I filled out W-4 to state I am a non-resident alien when I began my training. The...

Tax exemption? A chinese got J1 visa from Canada to enter you.S [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Chinese, but I got my J1 exchange scholar visa to enter U. S from Canada (I have been living in canada for 6 years but am NOT an immigration in canada). The tax people said that my tax would be based on the canadian policy. Is that true? Am I eligible to tax exemption? Thank you.

J-1 visa tax exemption, change status to H-1B visa? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I'm from Thailand and holding J-1 visa. For J-1 visa I can exempt tax for 2 years. I'm wondering how's tax payment after 2 years in two different status. 1. If I extend J-1 visa, do I need to pay tax back for the first two years? 2. If I change to H-1B, do I need to pay tax back...

Tax for first year H-1b visa holder: chinese citizen [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Expert: I came to US in 2005 with F-1 visa. I got my OPT in October 2006 and got my H-1b visa February 2007. Now which form should I file? IRS mailed me a 1040 NR form but when I was using a free software online, it generatee a 1040 form for me. I emailed that company about my situation,...

J1 visa tax for a Canadian student interning in US [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I worked in the US from April 30- August 27, 2007. From Jan - April 2007 and Sept - Dec 2007 I was studying at a university in Canada (I am a Canadian citizen). I have never worked in the US before. The company I worked for withheld state and federal taxes. How do the taxes work for my...

View more questions Search