Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    hariman1's Avatar
    hariman1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 20, 2007, 02:26 PM
    Tax clarification
    I am a green card holder with us income as only gift of shares from my son.I have foreign country income from India as dividends,interest and small business income.All this I am getting in india for several years before I became a residenrt and my foreign income has no connection with any transactions from USA.Since I am in India for over 182 days,I am considered resident in India for tax purpose and accordingly,I have filed returns and paid tax.
    Please advise whether same Indian income has to be included as foreign income in USA and tax credit is to be made use of while filing US return taxes
    2.What is the tax rate for the foreign gross income?Can foreign income added to US income (after converting to dollars) and after exemptions and deductions,tax calculated and after deducting tax credits,will balance be tax payable in USA.
    3.Publication 54 specify that foreign income up to $84500 is exempted from tax.Can this be applied as my foreign income is only around $30000
    Please advise on the above points.
    Cuddalore harinarayanan
    [email protected]
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,818, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Aug 21, 2007, 01:02 PM
    1) If you are a green card holder, all world-wide income is subject to U.S. tax law, regardless of your physical location. You can apply for a foreign tax credit using Form 1116, but you MUST report the income earned in India. BTW, the money from your son is NOT taxable under U.S. tax law.

    2) For $30,000, you are in the 15% income tax bracket.

    3) The Foreign Income Exemption (Form 2555) applies only if you spent at least 330 days in India or other countries. I got the impression that you have been in the U.S. for more than 35 days in 2006, so this would not apply to you.

    If you need professional tax help, contact me at the email address below.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income tax benefit clarification for Housing loan [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am Vineet Chattree, working with a TATA group. I purchased a flat in Chembur in December 2005. At that time builder declared 80% completion from Bank. However, I decided to start with EMI in place of pre-EMI based on 80% slab. Builder promised to give accommodation by June 2006, but...

Resident Clarification for 2006 Tax [ 1 Answers ]

I have stayed in US in 2004 for 351 days and came again in US on 3rd September 2006 and staying there till todate. For Tax 2006 purpuose the stay is calculated as No of days in 2004 (351*1/6) = 59 No of days in 2005 = 0 No of days in 2006 = 120 Total No of days ...

Form W4 - clarification [ 3 Answers ]

I was in USA for 3 months in 2005 (july to Sep) as a Non resident Alien. At that time I claimed Allowances/Exemptions - 2 in my payroll. I have again come to USA in January, 2007. Now my employer is telling me to submit the W4 Form with Allowances/Exemptions -1. On both the occasions, I had a L1...

Request for clarification on state tax [ 1 Answers ]

Question: I am on H1B Visa. My employer a consulting services firm based in Texas. I am working for a client of my employer who is in Vireginia. My wife works and stays in West Virginia. I used to stay in Texas and visits my wife in westvirginia on week ends. Due to my services for the client...

Rough-in Clarification [ 1 Answers ]

I have a three-level townhouse, built ~1998, which has a rough-in half-bath on the ground level (all finished walls with lighting and exhaust fan). There are two pipes--one (1) 4" pipe in the concrete floor for the toilet; one (1) 2" pipe in the wall for the sink. (NOTE: Opposite that wall is...

View more questions Search