Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    mailtovasu3's Avatar
    mailtovasu3 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 6, 2007, 01:19 PM
    Status on Tax return
    This is related to my friend

    He got married in year 2006, He stayed portion of year in California and portion of year in Texas, where as his wife stayed total year in Texas.

    When he approached Tax consultant, Tax consultant mentioned to file a Joint return and he need to pay tax for income earned in Texas and wife's income earned in Texas. Alternative he suggested since he got married last year he can file a return as single (2 returns with single status)

    Tax consultant raised a point mentioning he need to check with attorney is this filing status going to impact his Green card processing in future.

    Please suggest does he need to pay taxes in California for income earned in other states and does filing status impact Green card processing.

    Thanks in advance,
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,815, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Mar 7, 2007, 11:22 PM

    Tax consultant does not know what he is talking about.

    File as a part-year resident in California and pay taxes only on income earned in California.

    Make sure you do NOT use this tax consultant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing tax return (Changed status from F1-OPT to H1B) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I was a F1 student from Jan 2001 to Dec 2005. I am an Indian citizen and single I did my OPT in Texas Tech Univ. from Dec 18 2005 to Dec 17 2006. I got my H1B on Dec 18 2006 from TTU. I have Fedral income tax, social security tax and medicare tax charged during 2006. Which of the forms...

What Status should I file tax since my status changed from F1 to H1 from Oct 23 2006! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have the following questions about filing for taxes for the yr 2006. 1. Since my visa status changed from F1 to H1 on oct 23rd 2006, what status should I file the taxes as & which form should I use? Till now I have used 1040nr ez! FYI : I am frm India, I have not left US from...

How to decide resident alien status for filing Tax return [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the United States since January 1, 2006 and I am still here in United States. I am in H1 Visa and my wife and son are on H4. We all arrived together. Can I consider myself as resident alien for filing tax return? Can I file return as a married filing jointly? My wife is not working.

Tax return in student status [ 3 Answers ]

Iam currently in H1b and filed taxes for the year 2004 and 2005. I was a student -F1 visa in 2003 and first half of 2004. I didn't know that I had to file tax return since I did not work and not get paid during my entire student year. What is my recousre now, sholud I file tax return for year...

Tax Status and SS/ Medicare Return! [ 5 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta, I am single Indian national living in USA since July 2003. (except a 3 week vacation outside USA in Jan 2005) I was on F1 and my OPT is valid from 16th May 2005 to 15th May 2006. I got my H1 B valid from 1st Oct 2005. 1] What forms I would be filing for Tax ? (1040NR and 8843 ?...

View more questions Search