Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    newavengers's Avatar
    newavengers Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 26, 2007, 01:03 PM
    State tax returns for a married couple living separately
    We used to live together in MI, but I moved to MA alone for a new job in June 2006. My spouse is still living and working in MI. Federal tax return wise, it seems that we will have to go with the "married but filing separately" option, but the state tax return seems to be a bit tricky. My questions are-

    1) Should I file a MA return as a part-year resident or non-resident? What about MI?
    2) It seems that my spouse should file a MI return as a resident. But does she need to file a MA return, although she does not have any MA income? I am asking this as the MA return indicates that I have to provide the information about my spouse too.

    Your responses will be much appreciated.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Feb 27, 2007, 11:35 AM
    1) Normally, if you file separately on the federal return, the states require you file the same way on the state returns.

    2) No. If she has NO MA income, she does NOT have to file a MA return. Just provide your spouse's name and SSN as requested.

    If you need my professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].
    DShen's Avatar
    DShen Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 5, 2008, 03:07 PM
    I have similar situation. If I would like file joint fed return, what should we do with state tax returns? Thank you
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Apr 5, 2008, 08:27 PM
    If you are filing joint federal return, file joint state tax returns.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file as Married filing Jointly or Separately, if my wife has not entered US. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi David, I thought I'd post in this topic because I have a case similar to that of Balajinaik. However the website doesn't let me continue in his post, so I have to start a new Thread. I have been on an H1B visa through 2006 and will be filing as a resident alien. I got married in India in...

State and Federal tax returns - Itemized deductions [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I am Non-Resident alien from India and will file Federal tax return using 1040NR-EZ. Per Publication 519, there is provision to claim only itemized deductions by non-students from India (being non-resident alient, I cannot claim standard deduction). It also states itemized deductions...

On H1 Married and wife in india + filing tax returns... [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I was in US - California from Oct 30 2005 to Dec 25 2005. For this period, I have W2 from my empoloyer. Now again back in US - Iowa in Feb 10, 2006 and will be here for another 6months. I am married, no children and my wife is in India and will be joining me only in May or June 2006. I got...

NY State tax filing living in NJ [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I stayed in NJ for the whole of year 2005. I received income for December 2005 from Hawthorne, NY. It is below 7,500$. I have enclosed both nj and ny w2 for federal taxes and filed NJ state tax as well. Do I have to file for NY state taxes too? Thanks, Diwakar By the way, my w2...

Married Dual State Tax (NY , PA).. File Separately? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a question. I recently started a job here in PA (state flat rate tax ~3.07%) and commute back to NYC on the weekends. My wife still lives/works in NY (city and state ~10%). We haven't decided on whether to move to PA or not. For this year should I change my address to a place...

View more questions Search