Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    tomkovoor's Avatar
    tomkovoor Posts: 12, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 18, 2010, 01:19 PM
    State tax question for couple living and working in different states
    Hi, I had a question with regards to filing of state taxes for
    Couple living and working in different states.My wife is a resident
    Of CA and her only source of income is from CA. I am a resident of
    NJ and my only source of income is from NJ. I was hoping someone
    Explain how we go about filing our state taxes.

    1: I am taking an example of NJ where I am a resident. Since we are
    Filing a joint federal tax, how do we file our state taxes in NJ?
    Do I file tax form as resident showing only my income in there and
    My wife file a non resident form showing 0 income from NJ? In short
    For the case of NJ do we file 2 state tax forms?

    2: In the non resident form I came across the term world wide income.
    In the case of my wife would that mean her sources of income only
    Or would that be our combined incomes?

    Thanks for your help

    ebaines's Avatar
    ebaines Posts: 12,132, Reputation: 1307

    Feb 18, 2010, 02:41 PM

    1. For NJ: fle as married filing separately, and report only your income (not your wife's). You can do this even though you filed jointly for your federal return. See NJ instructions, page 16: "If during the entire taxable year one spouse .. was a resident and the other a non-resident, the resident may file a separate New Jersey return. The resident computes income and exemptions as if a Federal married, filimg separate return has been filed." So only one return is needed to report your income to NJ.

    2. "World-wide income" means all your income, regardless of source. If filing jointly it would inclde bothg your incomes. When filing non-resident returns, most states require you to report all world-wide income so that (a) they can check against your federal return to make sure you're not trying to hide anything, and (b) to determine what your appropriate tax bracket is. But since you're not filing as a non-resident, this really isn't relavant to your situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

State tax return for married couple living in different states [ 11 Answers ]

Dear Sir I got married in Dec 2006. My wife lived in Texas for the entire 2006 and I live in Ohio for the entire 2006. I have some questions regarding filing this years taxes. 1) If we file our federal return under "married filing jointly" status, then can we file my Ohio tax return under ...

State tax returns for a married couple living separately in OH and my [ 1 Answers ]

I have read couple previous posts regarding the issue. But it seems their examples can not completely fit my situation - OH and MI, since these 2 states have reciprocal agreements. I got married in September last year. I and my wife (US citizen) live separately in 2 states since then. She is...

Married couple living in two states. How do we file taxes [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I got married. He lives in Wisconsin and I live in Minnesota. I want to stay a resident of MN because of the homestead credit and he wants to stay a resident of WI for various reasons (political, hunting and fishing). We want to file married jointly, but don't know how to do it. My...

State tax returns for a married couple living separately [ 3 Answers ]

We used to live together in MI, but I moved to MA alone for a new job in June 2006. My spouse is still living and working in MI. Federal tax return wise, it seems that we will have to go with the "married but filing separately" option, but the state tax return seems to be a bit tricky. My questions...

How to file state tax for married couple work in different states [ 1 Answers ]

In 2007, my husband worked in Illinois and had the Illinois state tax withheld. I worked in New York and had the New York state tax withheld. We want to file married jointly for 2007 with the resident address in Illinois. How should we file for state taxes? Should we file for Illinois and New...

View more questions Search