I have another question. For my state return I have to file as a resident because - despite being a student - I have remained in-state for more than 220 days and while in the instructions they only talk about J-1 scholars and professors, this was the answer I got from the tax department.

What I'm unsure about is whether my husband (alien on J-2) can file the state return jointly or have to file separate returns. For the federal return (1040NR-EZ), we must not file jointly by law, but I can't find anything for the state of Hawaii in this regard?

Thank you very much for any help!