Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Danino's Avatar
    Danino Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 11, 2021, 04:03 PM
    Spouse of a G4 visa holder

    I'm a dependent on the G4 visa of my wife. We live in DC.
    I understand I have to file a Form 1040 NR, MFS.
    My wife's income is tax free but do I have the same advantages?

    I have:
    - rental revenues from property in the UK
    - an LLC in the US
    - some capital gains from France
    - I received inheritance
    - I have also invested in a section 529 plan for my children.

    I'm not sure about what I have to declare in the US. Only the US source income from my LLC?
    Or should I file a 1040 if I meet the physical presence test? and declare all my revenues + Form 3520?

    I'm lost.

    Thank you for your help.

    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,834, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 10, 2022, 08:40 AM
    As a G-4 visa holder, you DO have to file as a non-resident, filing Form 1040NR, but you need report ONLY the income that is U.S.-sourced.

    This means the rental income from the UK, the capital gains in France and the inheritance are NOT subject to U.S. taxes.

    Only the LLC income need be reported. You can apply the appropriate deduction for the 529 contributions.

    Atlanta Tax Expert

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spouse of G Visa Holder [ 3 Answers ]

I am a L1 Visa holder and my wife is working with the UN on L2-EAD. UN is asking her to join them on a G Visa. Will I also have to necessarily change to a G visa or can I continue to be on L1 Visa?

L1A Visa holder tax return with non working spouse and kid [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I am Arvind from India. I came to US using L1A visa on July 30th 2011. My 2 year old kid and spouse have L2 visa and joined me in October 2011. Me and my spouse have a SSN but my Kid do not have SSN. I need to file my returns for 2011 and need your help in doing this.

H1b Visa Holder - spouse and Kid in India [ 2 Answers ]

I am a H1b Visa Holder in USA from March 2006 ,Spouse and Kid joined me in Oct 2006 On H-4 Visa.Both got their ITIN nos.They left for India in May 2007 and continued to stay there through out 2007 & 2008.They Came back to USA in 2009. I have filed Married filing jointly for Year 2006 and claimed...

Can I work as a spouse of an H1B visa holder? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I work in the U.S. as a spouse of an H1B Visa Holder??

L1 visa holder, does not yet applied for spouse ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, 1) I reached NYC on 4th Oct, 2006 with L1 visa. 2) My spouse reached there on 15th Dec, 2006 with L2. 3) I filed Income Tax return for 2006 singlely. 4) We returned back to India on 1st Aug, 2007. 5) I never applied for ITIN for my spouse. A. In the above scenario, how can I apply for...

View more questions Search