Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    ShashiConfused's Avatar
    ShashiConfused Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 22, 2007, 12:45 PM
    Spouse full time residents in separate states : states taxes?
    My husband and I got married in Dec 2006.

    He was a full time CA resident in 2006 and still lives there and got income only from CA.

    I was a fulltime Kentucky resident in 2006 and still live here and got my income only from KY.

    We can file federal taxes jointly. But what do we do for state taxes? We both claim our residences in different states. If we file taxes jointly/separately in both states, the income reported on line 37 in 1040 (which happens to be combined income since we want to file federal jointly) is required by the states (which considerably increases the tax even though the other person did not receive any income in one state).

    1. Can we still file state taxes in our individual states separately and report only specify income from the state ?
    2. Can we file jointly for each state but report only one income that we received in that state (that is only one spouses income)?

    I looked for special instructions for such situations but only Utah addressed it (in one of their online forms) which is totally useless to me.

    Please Help!

    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Mar 26, 2007, 11:11 PM
    File jointly in each state, then arrange the return to pay only on the income earned within that state's borders.

    Recommend you get professional tax help. Do this the correct way can be tricky.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing Taxes in two States? [ 1 Answers ]

The first part of 2006 I was residing in Michigan and collecting unemployment while I was looking for another job. Unable to find employment I moved to South Carolina near my daughter and worked there for 6 months. I am now back in Michigan and I don't know how to go about filing taxes for...

Filing Taxes in Two states [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a resident of California since Dec 2005. I have received some back salary payment from my old company in Missouri in 2006. They paid off my dues in 2006. I have two W2s with payments from CA (present employer at California) and the other from Mo (old employer at Missouri). Since...

Filing taxes for 2 states [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I normally do my taxes myself but for 2006, I'm a bit confused. I am a CA resident and worked in California for part of the year (8 months) and I paid CA state tax. Then for the remainder of the year, I worked in Connecticut (and paid CT state tax) -- even though I still have a CA drivers...

Which states I should file taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I am an MBA student ( on F1 visa) in North Carolina, and did my internship in New York during summer last year. I stayed in New Jersey while doing my internship. I also have income from working in school as well. Now, which states am I required to file taxes. Can you recommend some easy sites...

Taxes for two States [ 1 Answers ]

I have been in US from 2004 on L1 visa, and last year my company filed a return for me.I was transferred from Helena,Montana to Minneapolis and I travelled on my car and took my things along with me. By what rate I can claim the transportation.What form should I use to claim the amount. I was...

View more questions Search