Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    SIMBRIAL's Avatar
    SIMBRIAL Posts: 29, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 20, 2019, 07:56 AM
    Special Assessment- G1 visa and US Citizen filing separately
    My husband and I don't file taxes jointly as I am on a G1 visa. He is a US citizen.
    We own a property. He has being paying the mortgage and I was paying the special assessment (repair for the building due to leak water).
    Can my husband deduct the expenses of the special assessment even though it was me paying it off?
    He has started his own on line business. Can eventually deduct the mortgage and the special assessment (paid by me)?
    Thank you for the assistance you may provide.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,818, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Apr 20, 2019, 09:17 AM
    Yes, he can deduct the assessment.

    By the way, there is a special provision in the IRC that allows U.S. citizens to file jointly with the G-1 visa holder spouses and still NOT report the G-1 visa holder salary.

    For details, email me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a A2 Visa holder dependent filling separately can claim a US citizen child [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I would like to know if I can claim my Us citizen and non US citizen children as a dependent. I am a dependent of A2 visa holder working at foreign embassy. I have a US income from a private company and filling separately in 1040. NR? Lookingforward for your response. Thank you.

Can I file taxes without my spouses ss number? She's a Us citizen, filing separately. [ 1 Answers ]

Can I file taxes without my spouses ss number? She's a Us citizen, filing separately and we are separated

Spouse on J-1 visa, do I file as married filing separately? [ 14 Answers ]

My husband and I got married last year. He was here on the J-1 visa and left last month. His sponsor will file his taxes, so do I file mine as married filing separately, including his social security number, or as single? Also, will his sponsor get any information about my taxes? Sorry if...

J1 Visa Holder filing tax return jointly or separately [ 3 Answers ]

Hi My wife holds a J1 visa (visiting researcher) since October, 2007. We got married in 2008. I am a US citizen. My questions: 1. Can she file 2008 tax as married-filing-jointly with me using 1040 form? 2. Do I include her salary income (exempt from federal income tax as tax treaty benefits) on...

Married Filing Separately with G4 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

I am a US Citizen married to a g4 visa holder at an international organization. She is exempt from US tax withholding. How do I file my tax return, married filing separately? Does this make me ineligable for education tax credits?

View more questions Search