Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    jodenem99's Avatar
    jodenem99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 31, 2013, 11:21 AM
    Is social security consider gross income
    My father lives with me . His only money comes from social security can I claim him as a dependent
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,815, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 31, 2013, 12:05 PM
    Yes, you can claim him as a dependent.

    It is obvious that you provide more than half of his total support, and he has NO requirement to file if Social Security is his only income.

    If you believe that you will need professional help filing this year, this IS what I do. Please double-click on my name (Atlanta Tax Expert) above to access my profile. You will find my email address in the signature portion of the profile (scroll down to the BOTTOM of the page).
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Jan 31, 2013, 10:38 PM
    Even if your father does not live with you, you can claim him if
    (a) You must provide more than half of the support, and
    (b) your father did not earn more than $3800 in 2012.
    Social security benefit is not treated as income but it is support he provided for himself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is social security and ssi payments considered gross income [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 48 yr old brother who lives with me and he only gets social security and a ssi for about $8000 a year because he is mentally disabled. This is his only income. I want to know if I can claim head of household. Is his money considered gross income?

Supplemental security income and social security disability income? [ 2 Answers ]

If you are approved for supplemental security income and social security disability will you get full benefits from both or will it get cut in half and if your children receive ssi will their benefit be effected?

Social security taxes - on net or gross? [ 2 Answers ]

I am self employed, 68 years old and was surprised that I had to pay 15% social security tax on my small earnings. My question is simple - is this tax on my my gross earnings or my net?

Tax social security benefits gross income [ 2 Answers ]

My question is I am single taxpayer, and I received $6,000 in Social Security benefits. My adjusted gross income for the year was $18,000 not including my social security benefits and I also received $30,000 in tax-exempt interest income what is the amount of Social Security benefits to include in...

Income Tax on Social Security & Interest Income [ 1 Answers ]

I collect SS, withdraw interest income monthly and sell real estate. I am wondering since my interest income & real estate commissions exceed the SS allowable income cap of $12,000 will my SS for the next year be reduced? Will my real estate expenses be deductible from taxes owed on my...

View more questions Search