Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    gjack5404's Avatar
    gjack5404 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 21, 2006, 02:26 PM
    Sign on Bonuses
    Our company gives sign on bonuses with the stipulation that the bonus does not have to be repaid if you work the 24 month commitment. The bonus is being written out of accounts payable and wages are not reported until the year of fullfillment. At that time the sign on bonus is "grossed up" for social security and medicare (which is essence, we are paying the employee share of SS and Mcare) and the gross amount is added to gross wages for the year. Should the bonus ( or do we have a choice) be reported in the year received regardless of the fullfillment period?

    Thank you
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jul 25, 2006, 02:52 PM
    You can ALWAYS claim income in the year you received it, even if it is not reported on the W-2. However, you will probably have to get professional tax help to properly explain what you did in the year the income is reflected on your W-2.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sign of someone being Satanic? [ 20 Answers ]

Okay, this is kind of a weird question, but an interesting one. My family on my Dadís side are Catholics (my Italian side of the family) and I used to frequently attend the catholic church when I was younger and once in a while I still go (although I am Methodist) and there is an older man that...

Co Sign Trouble [ 8 Answers ]

Several years ago my grandmother was nice enough to co-sign a loan for me a new car. Five years later I'm only 3-4 months away from paying it off, and I've had a couple late payments, but nothing over 30 days. Last October she was asked me to do the same for her. I was reluctant because I was...

Reporting sign on bonuses [ 1 Answers ]

:eek: If anyone can help me I would be so happy! Recently, I got a report from the IRS. I suppose I was audited for the year 2003 where I was in school full time working on a master's degree and received a sign on bonus for $30,000 to sign an employee 3-year contract for when I graduate. This...

View more questions Search