Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jsue Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2005, 02:16 AM
    NJ resident filing NY IT-203 non-resident return
    Hi, I know its crunch time for tax filing so any advice I will greatly appreciate!

This is my first time filing and I am confused. I thought to file on my own because it would not be complicated. I am a NJ resident who worked a few months in NJ, half the year in NYC (full time) and a very short stint in VA.

I did not think that my wages would be substantial so when I filled out my W4 (probably a mistake in retrospect) for my full time job in NY, I exempted myself because I thought I would be receiving a refund. Thus, my NY wages were not taxed. My dilemma is that I cannot believe I would owe the final amount derived to federal and NY state AND a little bit to NJ. I already filled out the Schedule A for the NJ 1040 and do not understand why I should still owe them money, when I have or will pay to NY the taxes I owe. Don't I get a complete credit from NJ?

Can someone explain what I may be doing wrong? I have filed returns before when I was a college student applying for a refund and never found it to be so difficult. Would claiming medical expenses that exceed the percentage of my income help lower my tax expense? Lastly, is filling out Turbotax online safe or would I be better buying the software?

I will greatly appreciate any advice given as the tax money I "owe" can be better used towards paying for tuition since I just started school again. I cannot claim education credits for 2004. Thank you!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 13, 2005, 09:01 AM
    Jsue:

Normally, if you work in NY and live and work in NJ, your withheld NY taxes will cover your NY state income tax liability. Then, the credit that NJ gives you for NY state taxes withheld covers your NJ liability.

However, you only worked in NY for 6 months, so the NY tax liability probably does not exceed your NJ liability (NY tax rates are higher than NJ, but not that much higher). Also, if you paid any VA taxes, you should factor that liability on NJ Schedule A as well.

Since you did have any NY state income taxes withheld, it comes as no surprised that you are experiencing the tax equivalent of "sticker shock". :mad:

Most people do not understand exactly how much they are actually paying in taxes. You have just gotten a first-hand lesson. :)

The online TurboTax software is just fine. ALL tax software is reviewed and approved by the IRS and, in the case of the state tax software, the state tax authority before it is made available on the website.
    jsue Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2005, 03:09 PM
    One more quick question
    Thank you Atlanta TaxExpert. Its definitely sticker shock.

Well I do have one more question, do you know what NYSDI stands for on the NY W2 forms?

I don't believe its disability as TurboTax doesn't list it as such.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 14, 2005, 07:47 AM
    NYSDI stands for "New York State Disability Income" (I think).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file New York State Tax Return as Non Resident ? [ 16 Answers ]

Hello, I'm looking for some advice about my state tax return. Thank you in advance for whoever can provide some guidance. I'm a french citizen and arrived in New York under a J-1 visa in July 2004. I filed as non resident for my 2004 tax return. In October 2005, I obtained the H1-B status....

Filing as resident or non resident? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a bit confused on what forms to use to file my taxes. I have been in US since August 2003. Till November 14, 2005, I was on F-1 visa and since then I am on H1B visa. I believe that I can use the First year choice and file as a resident in 2005, if I am resident in 2006. For...

Tax Return NY State J1 to H1B. Resident or not? [ 1 Answers ]

In 2005 I worked for the same company. As an intern (J1) from January 1st 2005 to June the 15th As an Employee (H1B) from November 6th to December 31st 2005 I was back in France between September 9th to November 6th to get my H1B Visa. Should I file my tax as a resident or an Non...

NJ resident work in NYC - need help for filing estimate tax [ 1 Answers ]

I am a resident of New Jersey and work in New York City. I have some realized capital gain from stock trading. Where should I file state estimate tax? To NYC or NJ ? I also have some income from NJ in the first 3 months in 2005. Can I file my estimate tax to NJ to avoid higher rate in NY...

Married non-resident-am I single for state return? [ 1 Answers ]

The title says it all-I am Canadian and non-resident but married to another non-resident. For Federal tax, I am Married resident of Canada. What am I for state return? If I file State as Married filing separately, they want me to pay a lot. Can I claim I am single for State? I am filing two...

View more questions Search