Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Missy8219 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2016, 06:51 AM
    How do you show a stock sale that includes goodwill, covenant not to compete on 1040?
    The sole shareholder sold his stock in a stock sale. He also took vehicles with basis of $6000. The seller received all the retained earnings of $180,000. And the shareholder loan TO corporation total $800,000. The stock sale was 1,000,000.
    The stock was common stock at $50,000 and Paid in Excess of 70,000. This was a C corp.
    I am filing the 1040 for the seller. The stock sale is on the schedule D
    Sale price of $1,000,000. The cost is the $50,000. Plus the $70,000. Plus the shareholder loan to the corporation $800,000. Plus the retained earnings of $80,000. The vehicles would be included because their was no sale.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 17, 2016, 10:04 AM
    The good will and covenant are, in my opinion, items that CANNOT be included in the basis of the stock. The other items mentioned all have concrete value and CAN be included.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stock sale wash rule [ 2 Answers ]

If I sold 1000 shares of xyz @ $10, which I had originally bought @ $90, thereby having a long-term loss of $80,000, but which I buy back in 29 days, I would thus incur a wash sale. Now,if I sell again 2 years later 1000 shares @11, am I correct in thinking that my loss for IRS purposes would be...

Wash sale stock [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2000 stock bought in April 2005 at $ 2, this company is now $ 0.22. What are the rules for a wash sale of this stock. Thanks

Sale of common stock tranaction [ 1 Answers ]

What is the debit and credit accounts for the sale of stock?

Entry for sale of another companys stock. [ 2 Answers ]

Sold 225 shares of another company's stock for 28.00 per share. Original purchase was for 22.00 plus a commission of $72. Brokerage company retained a commission of $80 on the sale and we recevied a check for the net sales proceeds. What are the journal entries for this? I was thinking I...

Covenant Not to Compete [ 3 Answers ]

A friend of us was employed by a pest control company (company A) until they fired him recently over some stupid mistake. When he worked for company A he had solicited us to use this company. Now he got a job at pest control company B and offered us a better deal if we would switch to this company...

View more questions Search