Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WestaxCheryl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2015, 06:40 PM
    California State Wages higher than Federal Wages on W2
    Why are the state wages for California higher, $14,573, than my Federal wages?
    It's not the 401(k) contribution - doesn't match. My medical 125 plan is only $3174
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 8, 2015, 06:53 PM
    That is a BIG difference. The only way I know for such a large difference is if you are on a J-1 visa and part of your salary is exempt by tax treaty. California does NOT honor tax treaties.

If that is not a possibility, contact your employer's payroll department and get an explanation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

State wages not the same as federal wages [ 1 Answers ]

I have one w2 with two different totals for my state wages. It has wages of $84,000 in box 1, but in box 16 it has $2946 and box 17 has $84 and box 16 it has "Total State and box 17 has $2086.. state wages for LA. Can some please tell me how I should report my state wages?

Are W2's required to show NY State Wages equal to the Federal Wages? [ 3 Answers ]

For example and employee works and lives in NY and earns $80,000, then moves to Arizona and Earns $20,000. So his Federal Wages are $100,000. On the W2 it lists for Box 16 NY $100,000 and AZ $20,000. I am told that is because NY requires State Wages to equal Federal. Is that correct?

Federal Wages less than total state wages [ 1 Answers ]

I have received two W2 as I have worked in NJ and OH. When I add the state wage of NJ & OH, it is approx 10% higher than total Fed wages listed in Box1. Is it possible? Or do I need to report to my employer to get it corrcted? Please suggest.

State wages differ from federal wages on W2 [ 1 Answers ]

On my W2 Box #1 which lists "wages, tips, other comp. is a different number from box #16 which lists state wages, tips, etc. On my state tax return, which do I list as my wages?

View more questions Search