Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Perlix Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2015, 11:38 AM
    Filing taxes status - G4 Visa Holder married to a US Citizen
    I'm a G4 visa holder and my husband is a US Citizen. We got married on April last year. Can we file our taxes jointly without making the 6013(g) election? I have a valid social security number and my income is tax-exempt. I read in this site that one tax expert said that he "recently learned that there IS a special election for G-4 visa holders who are married to U.S. citizens. Under that exemption, they CAN file a joint tax return, but they must submit a statement that states that they are claiming that election", but couldn't find more information about that statement. Any ideas?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 3, 2015, 10:10 PM
    Yes, you CAN file jointly, but ONLY IF you do the 6013(g) election. I am the expert you referred to.

If you need professional help filing, please email me at the email address in my profile.
    Perlix Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2015, 08:47 AM
    Thanks ATE. I asked around and it seems a lot of my colleagues are in the same situation (they are G4 visa holders and spouses are US Citizens). However, most didn't know about this election and have been filing jointly for 20 years without a problem (in all the cases the G4 visa holder spouse has a valid social security number), only attaching an employment letter from the international organization stating that the G-4 visa spouse salary is tax exempt. We'll see what we do, as the 6013(g) election can only be made once in a lifetime and you can't just opt-out.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 4, 2015, 09:16 AM
    That is true. Once you start, you are expected to keep filing jointly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing taxes status-- you.s. Citizen married to G4 visa holder [ 18 Answers ]

Hello, I am a U.S. citizen, newly married to a French national working as a consultant for an international organization. He holds a G-4 visa, which exempts him from paying taxes in the U.S. Should I be filing as married filing jointly or married filing single? I also have graduate student loans...

Visa status for non-US citizen married to US-citizen [ 2 Answers ]

If a non-US citizen (EU national) is married a US citizen, is there any way for her to spend large amounts of time in the US without becoming a permanent resident (if she decides not to seek any kind of employment in the US etc.) ?

H1 visa holder - query on tax filing status [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I came to the US on 29th Sept 2007. I am married. I am here on H1B visa. My wife joined me on the 26th Jan 2008. My query is that while filing my returns for the year should I enter my filing status as "married filing seperately" or "married filing jointly". I understand that since...

H1B visa holder - filing status? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a H1B visa holder since October 2007. Before that I was on F1 I got married in December 2007 and my wife will join me in March 2008 Can I file as married and jointly for 2007 even though my wife never set feet in US before? Thanks, vijay

L-1 Visa holder - filing status - Can all the deductions be claimed ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on L-1 Visa in US since Nov 27,2005 through Mar 03, 2006 and was back on Apr 15 2006. My Spose and child joined me in Apr 15,2006. I have filed taxes for 2005 as NR as I was here for a month only. For 2006 I believe I will be a resident alien having passed the substantial...

View more questions Search