Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    edmundsplanet Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2015, 04:21 PM
    F1 OPT Tax filing: Married but spouse in India
    Hello AskMeHelpDesk,

My info:

Source of income: Started working in WA, on OPT-F1 in July 2014
    Relocation: Moved to WA for above job. I was in a CA university before July.
    Relocation bonus: My employer provided a 'signing' bonus and not specifically a relocation bonus.
    Marriage: I got married on 30th Dec 2014.
    Wife's status: F2 Visa interview on 10th March 2015. She will be coming to US in May 2015.

Questions:

1. Can I claim wife as a dependent as I was married before the year ended?
    2. Must she be on F2 already to claim her as a dependent?
    3. If so, Shall I wait for her to get F2 approved on 10th March and then proceed with tax filing preparation?
    4. I know that I will be requiring her ITIN to claim her as a dependent, but I have to file taxes before she even arrives, so can I request Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return under Form 4868 ? If yes, then when do I have to file taxes?
    5. Can I claim relocation by any means or Form 3903 ?

Thank you!

Pranav
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 21, 2015, 09:08 PM
    1) Yes.

2) No.

3) Might be best; easiest way to get her an ITIN is at the local Tax Assistance Center, and that is REAL hard if she in in India.

4) The Form 4868 approval is automatic, and extends filing deadline to 15 October 2015.

5) You need to submit Form 3903 to deduct moving costs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax filing status - Married filing jointly or separately, without spouse's SSN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a query regarding income tax return filing status - to be filled as Married filing jointly or separately. I came to San Jose, CA, US in May 2013 & will be going back to India in Jan 2014. I am married & have 1 year old son. My wife & baby travelled to US just for 5 weeks, but...

Is spouse SSN/ITIN required for filing tax as "Married but Filing Seperately" [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen of India. In 2010, I worked in US on H1B from 01-Jan-2010 until 01-Apr-2010.Effective 02-Apr-2010 I moved out of US. On 31-JAN-2010 I got married but my spouse(citizen and resident of India)never travelled to US even though she had an approved dependent VISA. Saying this ,...

Filing Tax returns on H1 with spouse in India during the tax period. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I know that this question might have been answered already. But I couldn't find a proper answer anywhere. Here is my case. I started working in US in April 2008 and got married in Nov 2008. My wife joined me here in US in March 2009. I would like to know: Am I eligible to file my...

OPT-H1 with Spouse on F1: Married filing jointly? [ 3 Answers ]

Background: I have been in the USA on F-1 Visa since August 2000. I was on OPT from January 1, 2007 to September 30, 2007. My H-1B Visa came into effect from October 1, 2007. My spouse has been in the USA, always on F-1 Visa, since August 2004. Questions: (1) Can I file my Federal Tax...

H1B, spouse on F1(OPT) married filing jointly [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I am on h1b (resident for tax purposes) and my spouse is on F1 (OPT). Based on our calculations it would be beneficial to file as "married filing jointly". We had the following questions- 1.) we were married in India, but did not register the marriage. Does the IRS consider this "legally...

View more questions Search