Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crazee85 Posts: 82, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2015, 11:06 PM
    Married couple living in different states (CA/MA)
    Hi,

Last year, we got married. I am working in CA (and was working there for the entire 2014 as well). My spouse was a PostDoc Researcher in PA and moved to MA last year for another PostDoc.

What is the impact of all this on our federal and state taxes? Should we file federal taxes jointly and then state taxes separately? Or is something else recommended?

I was reading about the community property law of CA, but could not completely understand its implications for us. Could you please explain that as well.

Thanks!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 9, 2015, 07:16 AM
    In general for most states if your spouse does not live in that state and has no income derived in that state then you as a resident may file as Married Filing Separately (MFS) even though you filed Married Filing Jointly (MFJ) for your federal taxes. This works if you and your spouse have no joint accounts that report income (like a joint savings or investment account). Here are the specific instruction for filing status for CA Form 540:

Use the same filing status for California that you used for your federal
    income tax return.
    Exception: If you file a joint tax return for federal, you may file separately for

California if either spouse was:
    • An active member of the United States armed forces or any auxiliary
    military branch during 2014.
    • A nonresident for the entire year and had no income from California
    sources during 2014

Your spouse will have to file as part-year resident of both PA and MA. Both states allow him to file as MFS (i.e. there is no requirement in either PA or MA to use the same filing status as on the federal return).

Mar 14, 2015, 03:50 PM
    Thanks for all the information!

I read through the help articles here (https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/19...-state-returns), here (https://www.taxact.com/support/1158/...xtSearchValue=) and here (Preparing A MFJ Federal Return With Two MFS State Returns Knowledgebase). They pretty much say the same thing:
    - Prepare an MFJ federal return (this will be filed).
    - Prepare two separate MFS federal returns (these will not be filed).
    - Create MFS state returns using the numbers from MFS federal returns.

Is there anything else to keep in mind? Thanks so much for all the help!

Mar 14, 2015, 04:56 PM
    For example, should MFJ federal return as well as both MFS federal returns use the same thing: either standard deduction or itemized deduction?
    Is there any similar restriction for MFS state returns?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

State tax return for married couple living in different states [ 11 Answers ]

Dear Sir I got married in Dec 2006. My wife lived in Texas for the entire 2006 and I live in Ohio for the entire 2006. I have some questions regarding filing this years taxes. 1) If we file our federal return under "married filing jointly" status, then can we file my Ohio tax return under ...

How to file taxes if married but living in 2 states [ 2 Answers ]

My legal residence is Maine (where I work and live). In March of 2011 my husband took a job in Texas. Therefore as of March of 2011, he became a registered voter of Texas, holds his legal residence in Texas, holding a Texas license and his vehicle is registered in Texas. How should we file?

Married couple living in different states - OH and MA [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I lived in Ohio for a couple years already. We are preparing 2010 tax return right now. He lived in Ohio from 1/1/2010 to 08/31/2010 (with income); then he found a job in MA and moved to MA since 09/01/2010 (with income). I lived in OH the whole year of 2010 (with income). We own a...

Married couple living in two states. How do we file taxes [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I got married. He lives in Wisconsin and I live in Minnesota. I want to stay a resident of MN because of the homestead credit and he wants to stay a resident of WI for various reasons (political, hunting and fishing). We want to file married jointly, but don't know how to do it. My...

Filing taxes married living different states [ 1 Answers ]

I am relocating to Boston MA and my husband is a retired federal employee who pays federal taxes residing in Puerto Rico. In PR we file separately. {Moved from Forum Help-<>}

View more questions Search